PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse Tank

whiteangelbw
03-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi Everyone,
Well my sister is bringing down my tank that i want to use for a seahorse tank. It is not plumbed and am hoping you folks with seahorse tanks can post pics of there setup to give me an idea of how i want to set mine up. Sump or no sump, skimmer or not. I have a 6 bulb T5 setup for it already. Tank is 20"x20"x30". Any help would be greatly appreciated, already checked on seahorse.org. Thanks to anyone who can help.

i have crabs
03-03-2009, 01:09 AM
talkingreef.com has a few podcasts about seahorses you might wanna check out

Leah
03-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Hey,
Cool, I love my seahorses. They like to have things to wrap their tails around, Gorgonians
are great. Not a strong current. What kind (Kinds) are you thinking of ? I have narrow
bellied and Kuda's, I am a fan of tank raised. What is your tank in gallons. Do you plan on keeping things with them? My tank is a 25gal. Aqua clear 50 hang on filter. I have
no sump. I use a skimmer . Live rock of course. Live sand. Sorry no pictures.
But I do not mind questions.
I like pictures if you have some. I have a new camera just have no time to try and figure
it out yet.
Leah

whiteangelbw
03-03-2009, 02:34 AM
I have not decided on the kind yet, a local LFS has tank raised in right now, but unfortunatley i am not set up. hopefully they will be getting more in, in a couple months. will keep u posted and will add pics as they come, thanks.

whiteangelbw
03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
anyone, please!

Key Equine
03-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I have recently started up a seahorse tank. It is a 46 gallon bowfront, sump-less and currently skimmer-less, however I do plan on getting a skimmer at some point, just a little tight for cash right now! I have a canister filter for circulation and a bit of filtration, and a powerhead for circulation as well. Lots of live rock and specific branch pieces for the seahorses to hitch on.
I will post some photos if you'd like, just have to take some...

Leah
03-04-2009, 01:16 AM
I have found that with my seahorses I had to cover the end of the of the filter as they
would get sucked into it and could not get out. That is with a aquaclear hang on.
And as far as circulation , I use a pump with
airstones only. But mine are small. They sleep on the tubing at night.

Key Equine
03-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Yes, I agree, the end of my filter input is covered and it is my male's favorite place to sleep, sitting on the foam cube.
I have Kuda's right now but am looking to get a couple more in the next few weeks.

whiteangelbw
03-04-2009, 04:36 AM
How often are you two doing water changes, and what kind of skimmer are you using. I was thinking of buying a canister filter and then doing a hang on back refugium. any ideas? thank you

Leah
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
How big is your tank? I use as remora nano skimmer as my tank is smallish.
So many ways to accomplish it is just preference I think. I use the foam from
my Remora pro I just ordered extra and cover the end of my filter. I do a small
water change once a week maybe 2 gallons. Sorry don't know about a refugium.
What is your thinking on that out of curiosity?

Key Equine
03-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't have a skimmer yet but have been told that the Deltec hang-on-back skimmers are top of the line... That is what I'll be getting eventually.
I have been doing about a 20% water change once a week.

Leah
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
What size tank?????

whiteangelbw
03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
anyone else, any tank pics. will be picking up my tank tomorrow and have to decide to drill or not to drill.

whiteangelbw
03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi all,
Ok just got tank, and measurements are 20l x 18d x 28h, roughly a 40 gal. Am wondering on weather to get it drilled or if the canister filters are suffice. Do you two run filter or do you just use the filter as a circulator. All help is aprreciated.
Thanks, Angela

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't run filters on sw tanks (these are fw cannisters that just become nitrate factories on a saltie tank).

My seahorse tank is 2/3s of my 90g wide sump hooked up to a 120g fowlr. It overflows into the 1/3 section that is still a sump with an ASM G4x skimmer & a Sedra 9000 return pump.

I plant lots of macroalgae, especially Prolifera so the ponies have places to hang on to.

I have no extra current in the tank at this time, other than a percentage from the return pump.

The seahorses live with a jawfish, a blenny, a sixline wrasse & a leopard wrasse (the oldest neighbour).

Hope that helps.

Anthony

whiteangelbw
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi all,
Key Equine - what kind of canister filter are you using, and what are you using for media. How is it going without the skimmer, as I might not be able to get one right away either.

Leah - Are you using a media in your filter and how does the pump and airstones work for circulation, do the bubbles not bother the seahorses. I was just thinking about using hang on filter for refugium, just for extra filtration and more pod production.

Thanks for all the help,
Angela

Key Equine
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Hello again,
I am using the Rena xp2 that I had already from my FW tank, in it I have mostly live rock rubble, then a carbon insert. I have heard both sides of the filter in SW debate, but I had it already so wanted to make use of it. So far things are going fine without the skimmer, but the tank is still really new of course. I do want to get one in a few months time.
I have been told that you can get away without a skimmer for a seahorse, and I feed my seahorse very carefully at a feeding station, and then if anything gets away from him it is quickly picked up by the cleaning crew, so it's staying pretty clean...

Leah
03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi,
Yes, I used a sponge and carbon. I have just removed the filter and I am going to see
if I can go without the hang on. I was using an aquaclear 70. I have added another air
stone. But I do have a small remora skimmer. They do not seem to be bothered in the
least by the bubbles. Hope it helps. I will let you know how it goes.

whiteangelbw
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi,
Thank you both for your imput and help. It helped tremendously. I have decided to go the canster filter route and will be buying a skimmer before I add the seahorses. I will post pics of my progress but I probably won't be ready for seahorses for at least a couple of months, want to make sure my system is cycled and completely ready before I add them. Will keep you posted. Again, thanks for all the help.
Angela

Key Equine
03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey! A little bit late but here is a photo of my seahorse tank (seahorse itself is mostly hiding... hitched on the blue pipe at the back of the tank...

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/keyequine/New%20Tank%20-%20March%202009/DSC02487.jpg

Leah
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Nice tank :biggrin:

whiteangelbw
03-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Nice tank, and I saw your seahorse, the little guy sure blends in.
Thanks, Angela