PDA

View Full Version : Driving long distance with a tank in the back of a vehicle.

trilinearmipmap
06-08-2003, 02:36 AM
I will be in Vancouver next month and I expect to pick up a tank somewhere in the 50 to 75 gallon range and drive it back home 2 days drive on the highway. It will be in the back of an SUV.

I figured to prevent damage to the tank I would buy some 3/4" plywood to make a base for the tank to rest on in the vehicle, then I could tie the plywood into place securing it to the vehicle interior, them use duct tape or similar fastener to secure the tank to the plywood base. I want to avoid getting home with a broken tank.

I wonder about rigging up some kind of shock absorber under the tank such as some foam material, if anyone has done a similar move before please let me know what you would recommend.

Bryan
06-08-2003, 06:55 AM
As a extra precaution I would wrap the tank in an old blanket or comforter. Hate to see a rock chip on a new tank.

GinKu
06-08-2003, 08:03 AM
put something soft under the tank to absorb bumpie roads

Michael
06-09-2003, 04:54 PM
I've moved a 72 gallon tank over a 6 hr drive. Put some pillows or something soft underneath...but also make sure it doesn't wobble side to side.
Had my tank for 10+ years , moved it 7 times, and it still doesn't leak.

Michael

Quinn
06-09-2003, 04:56 PM
it's a two day drive from vancouver to prince rupert?

Tropical Paradise
06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
hi,

if you get the tank from J&L, it usually comes with the original thick protective thing that prevent damage on all sides. Shouldn't be a problem. Don't worry too much!

robbyville
06-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Your idea sounds fine although it might be a little overkill. Still better safe than sorry of you have the space in the car!

I moved my tank over 1700 miles with no problems. I did put wrap it in blankets and prevented side to side movement by putting lots of my baggage around the tank!

Good luck,

Rob

trilinearmipmap
06-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Teevee, it is a 1500 km drive which is 2 days easy driving or 1-1/2 days when I was younger.