PDA

View Full Version : Elos Mag. test

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone ever has problems with these, EVERY time i do the test instead of getting a green color (or what ever color your actually suppost to get) I end up with a maroon chunky solution. Any insight folks?
Levi

xtreme
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Do you have the new version that has two phases to the test?

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, its the 2 step A,B,C and power D I think it is (might be wrong might just be A, B and power C?)
Lvi

xtreme
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
I think C is the powder if I remember correctly. I have only used mine twice and haven't had any problems. Are you dumping out the water after you count the number of drops of part A?

untamed
03-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Just posted this in the thread below this one...

Yes, Part C is the powder. I think you are correct in that the likely problem is failure to dump out, clean and rinse the vial following the first test.

If your kit doesn't have Parts A, B, C and D..then disregard the instructions below....

Test 1:
Take a 3ml water sample and titrate using Part A until colour changes from red-orange to green. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 33-35 drops)

Test 2:
Clean/rinse the test vial; Take a new 3ml water sample.
Add 5 drops of Part B. Mix 30 seconds
Add one small spoonful (.15ml) of Part C powder. Mix shortly.
Titrate using Part D until you see colour change from pink-violet to light-blue. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 5-6 drops)

Math:
Subtract the # of drops in Test 2, from the # of drops on Test 1...and multiply by 50 to get your answer in ppm Mg. (34-5) = 29; 29x50 = 1450ppm

globaldesigns
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I use it, it is a 2 step...

first one is I believe A, you add it until it changes from the orangy color to green. It takes me about 26-36 drops depending....

Then you rinse and then use the last 3, adding the initial drops then powder, then using the last drops until it changes color. (I am usually 6 drops)

You then take the results from the first test, subtract the amount of drops from the last addition in the second test, then multiply by 50

I hope this makes sense.

It took me a bit and some wasted testings to figure it out.

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
WOW, well I feel a little stupid now (the instructions don't say anything about dumping it out, that would explain my chunky concoction lol) but thank you so much guys, can always rely on canreefers to be friendly and prompt!
Levi

ColinD
03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I had completely given up on this kit, no where does it say to discard the first test :faint:

Colin

Johnny Reefer
03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
WOW, well I feel a little stupid now (the instructions don't say anything about dumping it out, that ...
Don't feel stupid. I was doing the same thing, and I too, thought the instructions didn't say anything about it. Turns out they do, but in a very convoluted way. Elos and their instructions, :rolleyes: Oy Vey. There have been other instruction problems with other Elos kits too.

Cheers,

Tangman
03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Wow, I sure am glad I didn't buy one of these kits, sound like a lot to do, to find out your Mag ppm
Safert is much easier
Just posted this in the thread below this one...

Yes, Part C is the powder. I think you are correct in that the likely problem is failure to dump out, clean and rinse the vial following the first test.

If your kit doesn't have Parts A, B, C and D..then disregard the instructions below....

Test 1:
Take a 3ml water sample and titrate using Part A until colour changes from red-orange to green. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 33-35 drops)

Test 2:
Clean/rinse the test vial; Take a new 3ml water sample.
Add 5 drops of Part B. Mix 30 seconds
Add one small spoonful (.15ml) of Part C powder. Mix shortly.
Titrate using Part D until you see colour change from pink-violet to light-blue. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 5-6 drops)

Math:
Subtract the # of drops in Test 2, from the # of drops on Test 1...and multiply by 50 to get your answer in ppm Mg. (34-5) = 29; 29x50 = 1450ppm

untamed
03-03-2009, 05:21 AM
AND...AND.... Any test kit that requires you to count drops just can't be as accurate. Counting drops is just a bad way to do a titration. There's no accurate calibration of the drop size. It never fails that sometimes a smaller drop comes out because it picks up a bit of air bubble. What then? Do you count that as half a drop? A moment of distraction and you lose your count. A bit too hard a squeeze and 3 or 4 drops come out...was that 3 or 4 that just came out?

A bad idea all around.

lobsterboy
03-03-2009, 06:36 AM
AND...AND.... Any test kit that requires you to count drops just can't be as accurate. Counting drops is just a bad way to do a titration. There's no accurate calibration of the drop size. It never fails that sometimes a smaller drop comes out because it picks up a bit of air bubble. What then? Do you count that as half a drop? A moment of distraction and you lose your count. A bit too hard a squeeze and 3 or 4 drops come out...was that 3 or 4 that just came out?

A bad idea all around.

+3, lol

Tangman
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM

A bad idea all around.
I can't agree more....:wink:

i have crabs
03-04-2009, 01:32 AM
i was using the old style elos mag test and always hovered around 1200-1300 when i got the new style one im always around 1500 and im not so shure i trust it all that much

emerald crab
03-04-2009, 02:27 AM
I hate the drop count.

Koresample
03-05-2009, 05:29 AM
CRAP! I just went to Aquatic addictions today with the intention of buying the salifert, all they carried was ELos (aid they were sold out of salifert), so i bought the CA and KH test, then had to go to J&L to get the MG test. Seems like i would have been better off just rolling my money up and smoking it! Is there anywhere that carries the salifert regularily? Has anyone had problems returning un-opened product to either of these retailers?