PDA

View Full Version : Is this crab reef safe?

randallino
03-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Hello everyone,
I am wondering about a crab that I have just discovered in my tank about a month ago. It's about 1~2" in diameter, shinny black in colour with red eyes, it seems to be more of a scavenger than anything else. Sorry about the picture, it's from a point and shoot camera and its late.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=77&pictureid=731

i have crabs
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
id say get rid of it.

Pier Pressure
03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I have read that the general rules is that a crab with red eyes is bad news. I think I would get rid of it.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Red eyes, equals bad crab. I would get rid of it.

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes, Red eyed= Satan Crab= Good sushi! If you can get him out of there I would suggest it. It looks likes hes pretty wedged in that photo though.
Levi

justinl
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
throw it in the sump or give it to someone with a mantis (like me :biggrin:)!

randallino
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone,

Getting that guy out is not going to be easy, should I try using a trap, suggestions?
I have a second crab which I think is a emerald crab, problem is he's camera shy.
Damn hitchhikers....:evil:

Murminator
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
If you know what hole he is in just ram something around in thats what i do

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Eh, not all hitch hikers are bad sometimes you get something interesting:mrgreen:. I would suggest a glass jar, place a peice of shrimp or some meaty food and invert/ rest diagnaly against a rock. The crab should fall in and not be able to get back out.
Levi

urbanhellfire
03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Eh, not all hitch hikers are bad sometimes you get something interesting:mrgreen:. I would suggest a glass jar, place a peice of shrimp or some meaty food and invert/ rest diagnaly against a rock. The crab should fall in and not be able to get back out.
Levi

This does work really well, but some member of my CUC would get into the jar/glass before the crab I wanted to trap would even come close to it. :mrgreen:

Just keep at you will get him one way or another :snipersm: :faint: