PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Treebeard
03-02-2009, 02:10 AM
Found this guy on the bottom of a rock tonight. It looks like some kind of anemone.... anybody have a name for it?

http://members.shaw.ca/reidkon/whatamIreduced.jpg

my2rotties
03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Have no clue about what it is but it is really neat. All I have on the bottoms of my rocks are bristle worms.

Delphinus
03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm guessing palythoa..

Treebeard
03-02-2009, 03:12 AM
I think you are right Tony. Seems kind of strange that it would be living on the bottom of a rock in the dark though! I repositioned the rock so I can keep see him all the time and check up on him.

I'm guessing palythoa..

Treebeard
03-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Just took another look with a flashlight, and i am not sure if it is a paly. It does not have the "frills" around the outside like the ones I googled. It seems to have short, stubby bubble-ended tenticles.

High tide
03-02-2009, 03:31 AM
If the rock is from the Caribbean or Atlantic it could be Telmatactis cricoides.

Treebeard
03-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Fortunately, I do not spend a lot of time inspecting the bottom of the rocks in the tank! I was at the end of my rope trying to get some rock arranged in order to hide a powerhead and found the stranger.

Have no clue about what it is but it is really neat. All I have on the bottoms of my rocks are bristle worms.

Treebeard
03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I am not sure where the rock is from, but I think you are correct. It looks like this one:

http://www.poppe-images.com/images/image_info.php?picid=905862

Thanks for your expertise!

If the rock is from the Caribbean or Atlantic it could be Telmatactis cricoides.

Jason McK
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I had a couple of them in my old system. Never could get a 100% ID but the closest I could get was a common name rock anemone. It didn't grow very much and never bothered anything. At night it would strech out but again never hurt anything. I fed it a couple of times.

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Tony It's not a paly, pretty sure on that. Can't see any sand grains/ the growth is not circular parallel lines to the mouth. My best guess would be a sort of an anemone but your the expert on those so I'm stumped. Cool looking, perhaps it will color up for you?
Levi

High tide
03-11-2009, 02:18 AM
I am not sure where the rock is from, but I think you are correct. It looks like this one:

http://www.poppe-images.com/images/image_info.php?picid=905862

Thanks for your expertise!
That looks pretty close,eh!? I have one in my tank, it came on some Brazil rock. It's been there for about 3 years or so, it dwells in a cave created by encrusting and plating corals and doesn't harm a thing(that I care about anyway:wink:), it's about the size of a toonie now. You're welcome, anytime!

Sam1969
03-11-2009, 03:14 AM
I have the same thing but its growing on the back of one of my snails and its very pink, other than the colour it looks identical.
I was just asking my wife what she thought it was and was coming on here to see if I could find anything on it ... lol

High tide
03-11-2009, 03:38 AM
That's too funny....coincidence?...I think not! They do come in pink too!