PDA

View Full Version : Will My Leather Survive?

Sparkfarmer
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
We noticed two nights ago that our Long tenticled Toadstool leather wasn't looking to good. Not too unusual for that time of night, but yesterday he did not come back to his usual self. His tenticles on one half of his top will not come out and he has taken on a greenish hue in that area. He's also toppled over. This afternoon I noticed an Aptasia was growing out from underneath the leather on the side and I think it had been stinging my coral. I had to cut the leather off of at base to get to the Aptasia out. Now I have on very unhappy leather on my hands and I am wondering, will it survive? Has anyone had experience with this before?

Reef_Craze
03-02-2009, 01:40 AM
It should be ok, from the cutting at least, that's how we frag softies after all. I would put it in a quarantine tank on a little piece of LR just for safe measure.

Are you using RO/DI water?

What are the tank parameters?

a pic would really help.

Sparkfarmer
03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
I am using RO/DI water. I'll be checking my params again tonight, but they have been steady with Alk = 8 - 10 dkh, CA @ 380 - 420 PPM, S.G. = 1.024 -1.025 and PH around 8.3. Might have slipped though in the last few days. Just did a 20% WC. I missed one last week, but have been pretty consistant keeping up.

I also have in my tank a GBTA, Hammer and frogspawn LPS, some Xenia, Kenya tree, mushrooms and Rics. Everyone else is doing well. The leather was clear of all other corals...The damage to the Leather was mostly on the side with the Aptasia, and thats why I think its the culprit.

i have crabs
03-02-2009, 03:12 AM
have you added anything to remove phosphate?

ILIKECOUGARS
03-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Could be its shedding its skin as it grows. That would be my guess, my Toadstool did the same thing looks like its going to die for weeks, but now looks healthy and grew in size.

urbanhellfire
03-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Could be its shedding its skin as it grows. That would be my guess, my Toadstool did the same thing looks like its going to die for weeks, but now looks healthy and grew in size.

+1

my leather would take on more of a greenish hugh every once and a while ( you could see dark green sections under antics ) mine will also decide to take a nap now and then and bend at the middle? It has no rhyme nor reason to be doing that but it always comes back in better and sometimes a little larger/different shape.

lobsterboy
03-02-2009, 06:53 AM
+1 on the shedding to grow larger

Sparkfarmer
03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replies all. I hope your right. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sparkfarmer
07-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Well, some time later and my leather is still around. It never really came back to its original state. Its tenticles dont fully extend like before. They were amazing...

my tank parameters tonight are: SG= 1.025, pH= 8.2, Alk= 8 dkh, Ca= 400 ppm and nitrates < 10 ppm.

Dont know why....

Sparkfarmer
07-19-2009, 05:17 AM
1 + 1 = 2......
I am having a problem with red slime algae... Phosphate issue I’m guessing?

RuGlu6
07-19-2009, 05:44 AM
We noticed two nights ago that our Long tenticled Toadstool leather wasn't looking to good. Not too unusual for that time of night, but yesterday he did not come back to his usual self. His tenticles on one half of his top will not come out and he has taken on a greenish hue in that area. He's also toppled over. This afternoon I noticed an Aptasia was growing out from underneath the leather on the side and I think it had been stinging my coral. I had to cut the leather off of at base to get to the Aptasia out. Now I have on very unhappy leather on my hands and I am wondering, will it survive? Has anyone had experience with this before?

I cut my leather coral often. be sure to add some iodine (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/k-ti08/Kent+Marine+Tech-I++Iodine+Supplement+Additive+-+8+oz..html) and it will be OK.

Sparkfarmer
07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I've also had a slight red slime algae problem and I'm thinking that I may have a phosphate issue. I'll try treating with phosphaban first and then check the iodine. I'm doing regular water changes and adding trace element additives so I would think it would be ok.

i have crabs
07-19-2009, 06:37 PM
dont use phosban with toadstools in your tank they have bad reactions to the aluminum, use rowaphos or some other gfo

Sparkfarmer
07-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Is Seachem's "phosGuard" ok? What is a gfo?

Navarchus
07-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Seachem's "phosGuard" containing aluminum.
gfo= Granular FerricOxide

but they have been steady with Alk = 8 - 10 dkh, CA @ 380 - 420 PPM, S.G. = 1.024 -1.025 and PH around 8.3.

That's not steady! Try to keep your parameters fixed.

Regarding the leather it is most probably shedding to grow larger

Sparkfarmer
07-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Noted. Thanks.