PDA

View Full Version : Who takes care of tanks while we are away

my2rotties
03-01-2009, 11:28 PM
My husband and I are planning to go away since work is slow and when it picks up, we may not get the chance. I want to go some where where I can dive and see a real reef instead of staring into my glass box. Even Vegas for a couple of days would be fun...I have never been on vacation or even plane my entire life.

Is there any house sitter that is highly recommended to take care of my tank. I still have no clue on what to do with my dogs, but am wrapping my head around taking them to a kennel. I need to find someone very highly regarded with dogs care as well.

I hear horror stories of animals and even tanks left under someone's care. Does anyone know of anyone who I could trust with this?

Myka
03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Look for a professional service, and be sure they have insurance great enough to cover the entire cost of your setup. Make sure you have fire insurance on your house too eh? You should have that anyway having a fish tank.

Treebeard
03-02-2009, 03:33 AM
I would find a good kennel and check the dogs in while you are away. At least you will know that they are being fed and given a chance to go for a run every day. Do you have any friends neighbors around that you can trust and train how to take care of the tanks?

hillegom
03-02-2009, 03:38 AM
I don't have dogs or cats.When I went away for a week, I set up an auto feeder a week before I left, to check its operation. Everything went ok.
I did change the water before and fed everyone a lot before that.

Aquattro
03-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Ya, I just left for 9 days, fed the tank well before I left, took the dogs to a friend's farm, everyone made out great. If you're not going for more than a week or so, and everything is automated, you could just leave it.

my2rotties
03-02-2009, 04:39 AM
I like my neighbors but feel it would be unfair to ask anyone to care for the fish. I would prefer to pay someone that does not mess up our relationship if you know what I mean. I still am freaking out about kenneling the dogs. I do not trust anyone to care for mine and we have plenty of cougars and bears out here.

Griffie my puffer eats special frozen foods so I am not sure how to auto feed. My profilux parts will be in soon so at least I can automate a good chunk of the system.

I have never gone on vacation due to my dogs and now find it much more difficult to leave with my fish.

Leah
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
When people ask for my airmiles card I just laugh. The story was, what do I do with
the dog's. Now, I would say hands down it's the fish. But if your not gone for more than
a week I would not hesitate. But make sure someone comes around daily to check on
things.

levi1803
03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
There are a lot of pet sitters where people come into your house and look after your dogs a few times a day. It's nice as the dog can stay at home where they are comfortable and don't get to stressed out about it (if they are kenneled while you are not at home I suppose this wouldn't work though). I believe they will usually take them for a couple walks a day as well as stay for about an hour each time they are there to hang out and play with them, so I bet they could also watch the tank for you too.

You might even consider paying someone to actually stay at your place the whole time you are away, don't you know any University students that you trust that would love to get away from their parents for a week or two to stay at your place? Just a thought.

I know a lot of dog boarding places have webcams now and you can log into a computer and see what the dogs are doing while you are away, it's pretty cool actually and gives you a bit of peace of mind if you can see they are having fun.

michika
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm a big fan of in home care for my dogs and my fish. Normally we just leave the tank, top it off, and go. We do have someone come in check on it every day though. My dogs cannot be kenneled due to abuse in the past, so in home care is definitely worth it for us. I find my dogs aren't as stressed, and behave better overall if they stay at home and someone comes to them rather then vice versa.

my2rotties
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I live in the woods and finding people to take care of animals out here is tough. I do want my dogs home for sure but I am afraid they will take off on the sitter. I have never gone on vacation my entire life because I don't trust anyone with the pups. My hubby went to Cancun without me once since I could not find someone to care for the dogs. I was okay with it to a certain degree because dogs are so loyal. We did have friends care for them once when we went to Kelowna for two day to visit the inlaws... they had all their friends over, small children in the house (don't want kids in my house around my dogs when I am not there and I told them this). They ate a months worth of food in two days and my house reeked of dirty diapers. Never again. I learned with friends not to loan money or ask them to do anything for us. They got paid $100 a day and drove my truck. I don't know where they drove but my 150 litre tank was empty when I got home.

I'm a little jaded what can I say. I was hoping somebody would have names and references for home care. Darned it...

I'm going to start bugging Colby since I know he would do a good job but I don't know if he can run a store and be driving out here to live for a few days. It's worth a shot though.

phreezee
03-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I've gone on vacation with just a auto feeder on the tank, but it's not pretty when you come back, everything survives though.

As for the dogs, I take my lab and husky to Gone Wild Kennels in Cochrane. It's a farm and my dogs love it. The owner, Dave, is a good guy too.

http://www.gonewildkennels.com/

Okotoks Reefer
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.countryclub-petresort.com/
they are awesome!!!! give it a look we brought our 3 cockers there and they didn't wanna leave lol

Kryptic4L
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
just got back from costa rica, my 24 nano did just fine, everything survived with flying colors with 0 feeding for 1 week. could always get something like a reefkeeper control unit which Im hoping to have in a week or two which will monitor temp and ph. They are also releasing a salinty probe right away. And the .net module will send emails to a blackberry. So if anything does happen have someone handy to phone. Then just set up a webcam. Peace of mind while on the road.