PDA

View Full Version : Shark eggs

my2rotties
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Firstly I do not want a shark, but see eggs for sale at Big Als all the time. It never says what kind of shark egg it is.

Do they ever hatch?

If they do hatch, does the shark start eating other fish. I can almost see them hatching at night or when we are not watching and them hunting right from the start.

Has anyone ever had a shark egg hatch? If so what kind of shark came out, and what did you do with them? How fast did it grow?

I always see people buying shark eggs and wonder if they even have an idea of what might happen or if it is just a cool thing to have. I just watch from afar and wonder if someone buying is on Canreef, but never see a post about the purchase.

I was in the store yesterday and saw some pretty chewed up large tangs in the shark tank and thought that was not the best thing to see. It is a big tank but has little options for escape for the poor fish.

subman
03-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I think they are usually Bamboo Sharks

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Firstly I do not want a shark, but see eggs for sale at Big Als all the time. It never says what kind of shark egg it is.

Do they ever hatch?

If they do hatch, does the shark start eating other fish. I can almost see them hatching at night or when we are not watching and them hunting right from the start.

Has anyone ever had a shark egg hatch? If so what kind of shark came out, and what did you do with them? How fast did it grow?

I always see people buying shark eggs and wonder if they even have an idea of what might happen or if it is just a cool thing to have. I just watch from afar and wonder if someone buying is on Canreef, but never see a post about the purchase.

I was in the store yesterday and saw some pretty chewed up large tangs in the shark tank and thought that was not the best thing to see. It is a big tank but has little options for escape for the poor fish.

Yes they are relatively easy to hatch in a well established aquarium. The sharks do not start eating fish although that would make life easier if they did for shark owners. They are quite hard to get eating sometimes and if they do not eat fairly quick they die.

I have known quite a few people who have hatched eggs (mostly for outdoor ponds in Florida) and rarely had any loses.

They are most likely Bamboo sharks that do not eat most fish. They will usually just eat the fish you feed them like silversides. They would never go after anything much bigger.

I think you have been watching JAWS too much ;)

ocean diver
03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes they are Bamboo Sharks, yes they do hatch and swim around, the hard part is getting them to eat. I have tried twice and both times they just won't eat anything and end up dying.

my2rotties
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Hahaaa Jaws. I watched it last week and then Sharkwater was on after that. What a difference in one film to the next.

I love sharks and am very fascinated with them. I would never house one, but always wondered how people really know what kind of eggs they are getting in the long run. You never really know and the staff at the store is not the biggest help.

Beautiful creatures.

i have crabs
03-01-2009, 09:43 PM
last time i was at bigals thier was a couple eggs and a few hacthed pups, bamboo sharks forshure, i already have enough problems with bigfish i dont think i need a 2-3foot shark to feed and deal with also.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Hahaaa Jaws. I watched it last week and then Sharkwater was on after that. What a difference in one film to the next.

I love sharks and am very fascinated with them. I would never house one, but always wondered how people really know what kind of eggs they are getting in the long run. You never really know and the staff at the store is not the biggest help.

Beautiful creatures.

You should try a Bamboo one day :)

They are very well suited to aquarium life as long as the tank is big enough. Doesn't have to be massive but at least 300G is preferred. Custom 300G would be ideal because you can make it long, wide and just keep it shallow. They do not need height.

Ponds are great since sharks are great for viewing top down.

karazy
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
we had a shark egg for a good 5 months at the shop, and finaly it hatched.
it got a home right away, but sadly their tank crashed :(

we just got in a shark egg on Wednesday, and it hatched on thursday.

it's still not the most responsive animal, since it's only 4 days old, but it gets quite active at night.

bamboo sharks are actually the best sharks for aquarium life IMO because they don't move a whole lot, and are pretty mellow. the sharks you see at big als are open water sharks, and are completely inappropriate for the average "large"tank in someones household,as they are very very active and need alot of swimming room (as in square kilometers)
Also an advantage to buying a shark when it's an egg, is it'll become more accustom to aquarium life very quickly.

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Also an advantage to buying a shark when it's an egg, is it'll become more accustom to aquarium life very quickly.

Yes, IMO this is a huge advantage to buying an egg.

I think most all Bamboo sharks available these days are all captive bred though anyways, so should be used to aquarium life.

I am not sure but I think very few are collected from the ocean still. Thats just what I have heard but that could be wrong.

my2rotties
03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
:biggrin: I need another fish like I need a hole in my head. Would be really great watching the egg hatch and get to see the baby grow. IMO that would probably be one of the most rewarding things to do in the hobby. Too bad my tank is 260g and not the minimum of 300g to try some day way into the future.

Leah
03-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Funny, when I was at the L.F.S. last they had just got a bamboo shark in. And the
shipment was ice cold upon arrival. Kinda sad when you think that it happens even
to them. Somehow I thought that it was done a little more responsibly. How is that
for being naive.

my2rotties
03-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Did the shark make it at least?

Funny, when I was at the L.F.S. last they had just got a bamboo shark in. And the
shipment was ice cold upon arrival. Kinda sad when you think that it happens even
to them. Somehow I thought that it was done a little more responsibly. How is that
for being naive.

Leah
03-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I am not really sure I could see its tail from behind the rock and it was cuddling with
a eel. But the head was hidden behind rock. I hope so, really don't know who could
or would take him around here though. But I suppose anything's possible.