PDA

View Full Version : most accurate nitrate test

blaster
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Want to hear peoples opinions on this.My elos kit i find there is alot of guessing

Myka
02-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Digital ones. Like Pinpoint Nitrate monitor...about $250 though.

Palster
02-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Want to hear peoples opinions on this.My elos kit i find there is alot of guessing

I even find the Salifert one hard to interpret. I was wondering the same thing but I do know my Nitrates are way too high anyways. I have a 12" Puffer who is an eating machine and is the reason I have a Nitrate issue.

Delphinus
03-01-2009, 03:36 AM
I suggest probe as well, except factor in to the already steep purchase cost, the cost of a replacement probe is darn near the price of a whole new unit and I only got about 18 months on mine before it crapped out.

I find there's a lot of guessing with any of the colour based ones. I wish there were titration based ones like for Ca and Alk, but I guess the chemistry just isn't there for that.

I cycle between Elos and Salifert. I used to use Seachem, which I liked at the time because it came with a reference solution you could use to verify your interpretations.. however I haven't seen these for years now at any LFS I visit so I don't know if they exist anymore.

Myka
03-01-2009, 03:44 AM
I used to use Seachem, which I liked at the time because it came with a reference solution you could use to verify your interpretations.. however I haven't seen these for years now at any LFS I visit so I don't know if they exist anymore.

That's cool, I've never even heard of that. That's a great idea.

fkshiu
03-01-2009, 03:51 AM
IME the easiest and most accurate NO3 as well as PO4 test is using your eyes to closely monitor the colour/vitality/growth of your corals.

digital-audiophile
03-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Those nitrate monitors are way to expensive!! I had no idea.

Delphinus
03-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Hmmm, so it looks like the test kit does still exist:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~SC4135.html

Just none of the Canuck retailers I can think of seem to list it online though .. not sure what's up with that.