PDA

View Full Version : hangon zeovit reactor

blaster
02-28-2009, 05:23 AM
Anyone see one around?I don't have space in my sump for one.

Doug
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I was looking the other day but have not found one yet. {mines would be for Ultra Lith}.

Wondering if it could just be bagged and in my 110 powerfilter?

digital-audiophile
02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I've seen guys using the two little fishies phosban reactor for zeo on a small tank. You just need to take it off and shake it every day.

24storm
02-28-2009, 04:34 PM
With Zeo the rocks must be covered with water at all times so i am not sure how a hang on would work unless you keep the flow on at all times. The way i understand it is the reactor should be run 3 hours on 3 hours off.

Not sure for the other system.

Keith

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-28-2009, 11:15 PM
With Zeo the rocks must be covered with water at all times so i am not sure how a hang on would work unless you keep the flow on at all times. The way i understand it is the reactor should be run 3 hours on 3 hours off.

Not sure for the other system.

Keith

You are correct. Ideally you want 3 on, 3 off, 3 on, ect. This will get nutrients down much faster than constant on.

And yes, the rocks should never be out of water.

digital-audiophile
03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Only at the start of zeo should the reactor be cycled on and off... unless something changed that I don't know about?

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Only at the start of zeo should the reactor be cycled on and off... unless something changed that I don't know about?

Yes the first 6 months but many people keep it that way after that time. I was told by them that if the results are how I want them at 6 months of cycling to stay with the cycle. No need to change things.

xenon
03-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Hmmm.. This is the 1st I hear about this.

I just programed my Profilux so that my reactor runs 3hrs on/off. Thanks!

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Hmmm.. This is the 1st I hear about this.

I just programed my Profilux so that my reactor runs 3hrs on/off. Thanks!

Yeah if you go to the ZEOvit.com forum and just look through some of threads with people asking for beginner advice, they will be told to cycle it 3 on, 3 off every time.

I originally thought it was just to start slowly but apparently its not at all. Its more to do with getting different types of bacteria growing. Sorry I don't know enough about it to tell you what bacteria is growing while its on and while its off but Im sure someone on here can elaborate. I guess my thinking is that why ever stop the and off cycle once you get things going? No point in changing whats working. At the same time though, people run the reactors full time and still get results. I have had great success cycling and will keep at it.

Tom R
03-01-2009, 02:05 AM
You are correct. Ideally you want 3 on, 3 off, 3 on, ect. This will get nutrients down much faster than constant on.

And yes, the rocks should never be out of water.

I have been running ZEOvit for going on 2 years now and I run my ZEO reactor 24/7. It is only in your initial start up that 3 on 3 off is necessary. The rocks however do need to be covered in water all the time. If allowed to dry out the bacteria will die off.

Tom R

GreenSpottedPuffer
03-01-2009, 02:14 AM
I have been running ZEOvit for going on 2 years now and I run my ZEO reactor 24/7. It is only in your initial start up that 3 on 3 off is necessary. The rocks however do need to be covered in water all the time. If allowed to dry out the bacteria will die off.

Tom R

Right...well if you read what I said, many of the ZEO users on the ZEO forum do stay with 3 on and 3 off even after the initial 6 month period.