PDA

View Full Version : Cucumbers Reefsafe?

subman
02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I was looking at a Sea cucumber and was wondering if they are reef safe? Has anyone known one to kill the whole tank?
Thanks

High tide
02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Technically not reef safe, some people will tell you differently. You have to cuc proof the tank to reduce any possibility of it dying, spawning, or getting stuck on a pump, not worth the risk in my opinion.

Leah
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I had a pink hawaiian when i first started, new nothing about nothing, anyhow after
a lot of reading and research i freaked one day when i noticed hugh gashes in it. I
quickly had a panic attack. And took him out he was totally cool though. But I have
to agree i wouldn't do it again.

freddy
02-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Have had a tiger tail cucumber for over a year,no problems

chandigz
02-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I've had tiger tails over two years, no problems. They stay on the bottom so no worry with getting stuck in power heads. they have actually split a couple of times.

Tangman
02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I too, have had tiger tails for years in a reef with no problems, except for not seeing them for months and wondering if they where still alive.

untamed
02-27-2009, 12:03 AM
My tank has at least three tiger tails...at least three donkey dungs...and 1 unknown red/black one. Has been like that for two years. Because I don't really see them all at once, I couldn't tell you if any have died or done anything dramatic, but the tank hasn't crashed....so...so far so good.

I agree that they are solely interested in staying on the sand bed and show no interest in climbing up walls toward where powerheads might be.

Recently, it would seem that the donkey dungs have reproduced. My sump has possibly 100+ baby dungs living in it.

It has been speculated by some that recent coral deaths might be attributed to the death of one or more of my cucs...but there is a lot of speculation on what has killed some of my coral. Stories I've heard about "cuke nuke" usually include fish deaths and all my fish seem just fine.

So...maybe you don't get as carried away as me...but I give the donkey dung and tiger tail a good endorsement. They are very effective sand cleaners and I haven't had a problem with them. Personally, I think that if any large, soft bodied animal is permitted to shred itself in a powerhead it is going to cause problems for one's tank. An anemone might be another good example.

whatcaneyedo
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM
+5 for tiger tail. I've had one for 3 years now. I've had it reproduce once as well. No problems yet however I have seen it climb the glass a few times at night so I wouldnt rule it out entirely as being tank safe as it could climb into a powerhead and off it self... perhaps along with the tank.

High tide
02-27-2009, 01:45 AM
I lost nearly everything one time when a seemingly sand dwelling cucumber crawled up the glass and was sucked into a powerhead. I had, (and still have, in it's own isolated tank), the cuc for a few years before it decided to "flirt with danger". It had happened before with another cuc but it was small and it just closed my corals up for a few days, I may have lost one or two colonies. But then I decided to try it again....never again I tell you.

untamed
02-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Yes, easy for me to say they seem fine....I don't have any powerheads! It is very possible mine have been sneaking up the glass in the dark of night and I might never know.