PDA

View Full Version : Nori feeding

rocketlily
02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have any good ideas or pictures of something they've built to feed fish nori. I don't like the idea of feeding on a clip stuck to the glass. There must be some classier ideas out there.

Leah
02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I just toss mine in the tank and they all just play tug o war with it. It's funny to
watch my tang's keep it away from the mystery wrasse who is fat, sassy and a
devil. Never had a problem with doing it as they just yank it out of the clip any-
way.

my2rotties
02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I just resign myself to the clip and hide it when people come over. I have heard people elastic band it around a rock which sounds like a great idea.

Delphinus
02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Take a small length of 1/2" PVC, drill a hole in it and tie fishing line or airline tubing to it. Attach the line to the outside of the tank, ie., tie it to something, a suction cup or whatever, so that the tube inside the tank is easy to pull out. Now take your nori and wrap it around the PVC, and an elastic that you criss cross it over to hold it down.

Once you feed your fish this way, you'll never go back to a clip, I promise you. It's a more natural way for them to pick at it, and they'll get more of it, and you'll have less floaty bits floating around. Ie., it fouls your water less, they get more of it, and you'll have way fatter fish as a result. I guarantee it. :)

Ok, crappy picture but to give you an idea of what I mean, look to left of my tank here (where the tang is swimming towards).
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/delphinus_photos/P2210059.jpg

PS. Anything the fish don't get (which isn't much anyhow), if you have urchins or seahares or abalones, they'll polish it off at night. Everybody gets some this way and very little ends up wasted.

Green Phantom
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
That's exactly the way I do it. Great idea!!! LOL

my2rotties
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Dang Tony that is a beautiful sailfin tang!!! I can't wait until mine grows up. She is just showing her adult colouration now

o.c.d.
02-27-2009, 02:15 AM
This setup works great for me I took a strip of acrylic and put a lighter to it bent it to the desired thickness(of tank) scratched the surface up of both the clip and the acrylic then glued. The idea came to me after loosing the clip over and over. The Tangs can really shred it.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mudslingercor/clip.jpg

loveless
02-27-2009, 02:33 AM
I do the same with the acrylic as well. although i had to make it to fit the euro bracing.

banditpowdercoat
02-27-2009, 03:28 AM
I elastic to a old oyster shell. Works great for me