PDA

View Full Version : Something hurt my arm -added a picture ewwww 02/27/09

digital-audiophile
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
So I was doing bunch of re-arranging last night. I know I know.... DO NOT TOUCH THE ROCK.. I was lucky and did not have anything fall or shift too bad. :p

Anyhow, I'm not sure if it was my Anemone or some of my Euphyllia but did I ever get a bad painfull rash last night. I even felt a little light headed. I've never experienced that before but I was bushing my arm against them for the better part of an hour. They were raised red welts and allthough the welts are gone I have a bad red rash still today.

Gloves? Gloves are for babies! :p

Any suggestions? Just a little cream? I imagine they will go away on their own and I don't need to go to a doctor.

christyf5
02-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Wash wash wash. Perhaps some cortisone cream.

You could always have someone pee on it too :razz:

levi1803
02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
You could always have someone pee on it too :razz:[/QUOTE]

LMAO, That is too funny

Borderjumper
02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I hear vinegar for nem stings helps neutralize it.

Leah
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM
You could always have someone pee on it too :razz:

LMAO, That is too funny[/QUOTE]

digital-audiophile
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
So who is coming over to pee on me tonight? :twised:

BC564
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
hmmmmm.....I could...I havent done that since a carribean scuba diving jelly fish incident.....

Phanman
02-26-2009, 05:18 PM

LMAO, i can mail you a jar full and u can just microwave it to get that warm tingling feeling, lol.....

Whatigot
02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I used to think that as long as I washed my hand REALLY well that you just had better control bare handed in your tank...
then I reached around a rock and lifted it, it was heavy and the hydroid colony that was living on it DUG into my index finger, cutting right through the skin and broke a couple off in there....

That HURT.
a lot.

Now I wear gloves for anything but the most basic in tank maintenance.
I have had a similar reaction tot he one you described both from palys as well as from frogspawn...

Only when they have some in contact with an open or even old cut though.
and I kinda LIKE the light headedness...

my2rotties
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
There are days I have hives or a rash from playing in my glass box. Have not gotten stung by a bristle worm yet and that in itself is good luck.

christyf5
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I get a rash on my arms every time I work in my tank. Weirdly enough its from the eurobracing and the salt rubbing on the inside of my upper arm.

Scavenger
02-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Just rent a fire hydrant costume and hang out at the dog shelter. That should fix you up.

digital-audiophile
02-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Ok.. so taking pictures of my forearm with my left hand does not work very well :p ... but anyway.. this is after two days.. I think I might need to see a doctor

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/digital-audiophile/010.jpg

Borderjumper
02-28-2009, 01:24 AM
I think it needs to come off....

Serious I do think you need to at least bop into a clinic. Have you tried any bacterial creme at all like neosporin at least? That looks pretty yucky.

atcguy
02-28-2009, 01:25 AM
no biggy , get that on the inside of my arms if I brush up agaist torch coral.. ride it out!!! unless it gets crazy worse.

fishoholic
02-28-2009, 01:25 AM
That looks like a pretty nasty rash, I think going to a doctor might be a good idea.

digital-audiophile
02-28-2009, 01:33 AM
I've been putting an anti fungal cortisone cream on it. It doesn't really hurt, just itchy.

Lance
02-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Nasty!

Leah
02-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Should we start taking donations to buy you gloves?

digital-audiophile
02-28-2009, 02:12 AM
LOL! As I stated before, gloves are for sissies :p

Actually I have a pair of the lee valley mucking gloves, they really are great gloves I just find I don't have much sensation when I use them.

bullit67
02-28-2009, 02:17 AM
That is the same problem I have found with gloves cant feel how hard you are holding the corals I find a bump and knock things all the time because I cant feel what I am hitting. I was handling a large mushroom about two weeks ago and I ended up with a burning sensation on the tips of my fingers for a couple of days then all the skin pealed off.

marie
02-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Ok.. so taking pictures of my forearm with my left hand does not work very well :p ... but anyway.. this is after two days.. I think I might need to see a doctor

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/digital-audiophile/010.jpg

My torch coral does that to me and it stays intensly itchy for about 2 weeks. I never bother puting anything on it though so maybe yours will go away sooner :mrgreen:

Scythanith
02-28-2009, 04:18 AM
You should PM sphelps and ask him about his rash. I know he's had his for quite a while and seen a doctor or two. It was from a Euphyllia sp. if I recall correctly.

Skimmin
02-28-2009, 07:07 AM
I have a sebae anemone and I had a bad rash with welts similar to yours last almost a week before they were completely gone. My sebae is approx 18" so its sting packs a punch. On a brighter note... Whatever stung you must be healthy if it got you that good. lol:razz:

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Oh I get that same looking rash from time to time when I just have my arms in the water. Never had it from anything touching me though. Just arms in the water. Its VERY itchy!!!

Usually goes away in a day for me.

fishytime
02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Greg, this would be a good addition to the marine aquarium cautions sticky. Definitely looks like a euphilia sting. Keep an eye on it...everybody reacts a little differently.

mark
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
About the only time I'll use gloves is when I'm around my Frogspawn. Find the disposables aren't to bulky and still give good feeling. They'll puncture but I'm more worried about sweepers. Bought them a while ago but then 100 for $12.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/gloves.jpg

fishytime
02-28-2009, 03:38 PM
About the only time I'll use gloves is when I'm around my Frogspawn. Find the disposables aren't to bulky and still give good feeling. They'll puncture but I'm more worried about sweepers. Bought them a while ago but then 100 for $12.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/gloves.jpg

Just dont ask what they are intended for:mrgreen:

mark
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Just dont ask what they are intended for:mrgreen:
bend over and say MOO

MikeP
02-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Good advice Doug.

Greg, this would be a good addition to the marine aquarium cautions sticky. Definitely looks like a euphilia sting. Keep an eye on it...everybody reacts a little differently.

Hope it clears up soon Greg.

EmilyB
02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Take some Reactine.

Delphinus
03-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Calamine lotion maybe??

Myka
03-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Take some Reactine.

Good advice. My Euphyllias bother me more than any other corals as well, but even after playing in the Euphyllia forest for an hour I don't get a reaction like that. Eep!

digital-audiophile
03-01-2009, 03:40 AM
I've been covering the rash with both a cortisone cream that I have for my cracked hands, and with after bite (the stuff for bee stings/mosquito bites) It's getting a bit better, not as red but it is really bumpy. I'll have to get some reactine or something a little less drowsy tomorrow from the pharmacy.

Whatigot
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
try some antibacterial hand lotion.
Seems to help me as I frequently get this from my frogs...

digital-audiophile
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
It's getting a littler bit better with the cream and the antihystamines. The bumps are not as bad but it is still very red.

Still itchy as all hell though.

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
That after bite stuff is a god sent, I fell on a Bee Hive once and was stung like 18 times. Its like a concentrated topical morphine stick, the pain just vanishes! Good luck with the rash, at least it wasn't something more serious!
Levi

Whatigot
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
It's getting a littler bit better with the cream and the antihystamines. The bumps are not as bad but it is still very red.

Still itchy as all hell though.

Nothing beats the lightheadedness though....lol

digital-audiophile
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I dunno about that :p When it happened I thought I was going to pass out.. I rushed from the basement to the top floor where my wife was becuase I was afraid I was going to pass out and didn't want to lie on the floor for an hour before my wife started to wonder where I was.

sphelps
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey Greg, I had a similar experience when I was stung by a large hammer coral (Euphyllia) in my tank. I tried all kinds of over the counter creams and of course didn't see a doctor until my arm literally looked like it was going to have to be amputated. It started just like yours but it gets much worse, like yours it seemed to get better at first but it came back with a vengeance.

What you need is a prescription for some extra strong cream, nothing over the counter will work. This is exactly what I was given which cleared me up.

FUCIDIN H CRM 2/1% (FUSIDIC ACID/HC ACETATE)
RATIO-CLOBETASOL OINT 0.05% (CLOBETASOL PROPION 0.05%)
APO-PREDNISONE 5MG
NU-RANIT 150MG (RANITIDINE HCL 150MG)

DR. SZABO (Saskatoon)

I'm giving you this cause I know how long it takes to get a dermatologist appointment and maybe you get away with a simple doctors appointment. Trust me this doesn't go away with time. In addition this whole event has somehow made me develop eczema which I'll likely always be fighting so the sooner you deal with this the better.

digital-audiophile
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I appreciate the advice :) My family doctor is kind of a flake and I think that is part of the reason I have not gone to see him about this yet.

sphelps
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I appreciate the advice :) My family doctor is kind of a flake and I think that is part of the reason I have not gone to see him about this yet.
Tell me about, trust me I know all about that but that thing needs medical attention, you do not want to go through what I did, seriously.

Jay180reef
03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
When moving rock, I use these gloves, they are really good for feeling but have a tough rubber coating. I had tried the coralife reef gloves - they were just awful.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=79&pictureid=732

I might have to try those clear plastic 'elbow deep in cow a$$' gloves underneath to protect the rest of my arm.

Trigger Man
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I remember a while ago Dave at Golds having rashes and bumps like that from messing in the SW tanks a bunch. In the end he stayed away from the SW part for a bit and after a while it all cleared up. You can ask him if he used anything to alleviate the situation.

digital-audiophile
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys :)

I'll have to ask Dave about his experience, I'll be up there on the weekend as usual :p

I did book an appointment with my doctor for Wednesday AM just to get him to take a peek at it.

digital-audiophile
03-07-2009, 03:07 AM
As an update.. I went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription for cream. Ive been using it for a couple fays now but have yet to see any real improvement. Ill keep y'all updated ;)

I hope this helps others avoid the PITA that I have gone though.

BCOrchidGuy
03-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I know it's way to late to tell you what you should do but, if there is a next time...

When I was a dive instructor I got to meet and work with a lot of people who worked in tropcial waters. One thing they all agreed on was, if you get a sting wash it in the same water you got stung in, try to do it in the same area. Any change in water chemistry or paramaters will trigger the stingers to fire again (you're trying to get away and the coral wants to eat you). Vinegar may offer relief from the immediate sting but it will not remove the stingers you have to scrub like crazy in the home water of the offending coral.

This process sounds nice and easy, another option would be to try to alter your genetic make up so you are immune like clownfish... I think the first option would be easier although less interesting.

Douglas