PDA

View Full Version : my new salt tank

zuzes20011
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
hi guys so i set my my salt water tank to weeks ago everything whent awsome i have live sand crushed coral base rock some live rock its 72 gallons i started adding fish i have 1 black and white damsel 3 sargent major damsels 1 blue damsel one clown fish and one clown they were all fine added them slowly whent to bed last night and now they look like there haveing a hard time the clown is staying at the bttm of the tank '

Leah
02-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Ohh! I would think that it is probably to soon. Did the L.F.S tell you you could add fish
already? What they should have told you is the tank needs to cycle. For about six weeks
first. And if you don't have test kits if they are any good they could test your water for
you. That is what I did then I later bought the kit. The next thing is way to many fish
to start. In mine I started with two chromis. They are tougher and can handle the trans-
tion better. I think you might be a little out of luck in regards to the fish at this point.
You must take it slllllloooowwwlllllyyyy. Don't get more fish...yet! Take a sample of water
in if you don't have a test kit.

Tangman
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM
By the way I read this , you added 7 fish , all at once, without cycling the tank, and now i am guessing you nitrates are sky high, which will most probably kill your fish.
You will have to start over, this time, read up first before you start, especially about the nitrogen cycle and cycling a tank. Then go slow and don't be in a rush to add fish.
A good book to learn about a salt water tank is
The Reef Aquarium - 3 Volume Set by C. Delbeek & J. Sprung

hi guys so i set my my salt water tank to weeks ago everything whent awsome i have live sand crushed coral base rock some live rock its 72 gallons i started adding fish i have 1 black and white damsel 3 sargent major damsels 1 blue damsel one clown fish and one clown they were all fine added them slowly whent to bed last night and now they look like there haveing a hard time the clown is staying at the bttm of the tank '

Scavenger
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
It does sound like your tank is not cycled and also I'm betting your live rock is still curing so your fish are going to be in big trouble if they aren't already. If you have an extra heater and powerhead, I'd transfer the fish to a tote or other container with new salt water with some PVC tubing to act as caves and hidy holes. Then keep the fish in there for 2-3 weeks while the tank cycles. You would have to do constant water changes as you have no biological filter here. It would be a lot of work, but if you value your fish, it's one of the few hopes.

ILIKECOUGARS
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I can offer you the used of my QT. Until your tank cycles.

ocean diver
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I would take the offer from ILIKECOUGARS and move your fish to his QT tank and let your tank cycle. It will take 4-6 weeks to cycle your tank before you can add any fish, and then only add a few at a time. Good luck

urbanhellfire
02-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Take ILIKECOUGARS offer, I think you jumped in a little to quick but with a little PROPER advice from good local fish shops and the group around here you should be just fine.

Nothing in saltwater is quick or cheep when done right the first time :drinking:

Ian
02-27-2009, 04:48 AM
From someone who has had salt under a year....Listen closely to these guys (and gals)...they will save you a load of grief, anger and even better MONEY...I jumped in fast too..well a little slower than you, and was saved by this site....and now am officially addicted... GOOD LUCK

Reef_Craze
03-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Return the fish!

This is a hobby that has to be started a certain single way. You really need to be careful when starting or you will just waste time and money, get a couple of good aquarium books, (Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner) and bounce around the internet forums, you're gonna need a couple months of research.

zuzes20011
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
well thanks every one i have books on it i have been reading for months my tank is doing well have not lost a fish yet i test my water every day

Leah
03-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey, don't worry about it. Sometimes people can be rather rude. We all started out in
this at some point, and have sometimes had to learn the hard way. Sometimes we forget to play nice. Uh, HUM clearing my throat.
When I started I listen to the L.F.S luckily for me, my guy had a reef tank. So got some
sound advice. When people say you have to be patient..... they forget to be Patient
with people just starting and can be Rude. Good luck! And don't forget to have fun doing
this. Oh and I love pictures. I also have a 72 gal. And need to learn how my camera works, lol someday soon I hope

Zoaelite
03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Hey, don't worry about it. Sometimes people can be rather rude. We all started out in
this at some point, and have sometimes had to learn the hard way. Sometimes we forget to play nice. Uh, HUM clearing my throat.
When I started I listen to the L.F.S luckily for me, my guy had a reef tank. So got some
sound advice. When people say you have to be patient..... they forget to be Patient
with people just starting and can be Rude. Good luck! And don't forget to have fun doing
this. Oh and I love pictures. I also have a 72 gal. And need to learn how my camera works, lol someday soon I hope

To true, too true. I believe (atleast hope) that most of the comments that come off as a little rude are only that way because people are pashionate about the hobby and want to see the best for our fish/ corals. If nothing has died yet then it sounds like you have passed the cycle (good job, your doing something right!) Have any photos of the tank?
Levi

zuzes20011
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
hey thanks ya i had not posted anything in a while becas i felt like i was being ambushed i just needed some help thats all.... there was some good answers in there but i have read lots of books and have friends that have salt as well. I have lost one fish but it looks like my crab and fish got in to a bad fight lol there were like for crab legs lieing beside the fish but the crab is still alive

Tangman
03-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Sorry, but I don't feel any one was being rude, but by the way your first post ( in this thread ) sounded , you added 6 or 7 fish without cycling the tank and that possibly your fish where all doomed

Zoaelite
03-03-2009, 02:04 AM
Not "Rude", just concerned (as in A mother bear protecting her cubs:lol:). I don't believe we are getting the complete story here (as it is a little odd to add 7 fish to a tank and not have one die of water parameter problems) but absolutly nothing to get angry over.
Levi

Sorry, but I don't feel any one was being rude, but by the way your first post ( in this thread ) sounded , you added 6 or 7 fish without cycling the tank and that possibly your fish where all doomed

zuzes20011
03-03-2009, 02:54 AM
not angry and that is the full storry if you have proper filter you dont need to wait to add fish you take the chance of your tank takeing a crap but you can still ad fish i have read as well as talked to a number of people that have added fish a day after the tank is set up you just take the chance of loseing a fish or to if your tank takes a crap

banditpowdercoat
03-03-2009, 03:21 AM
not angry and that is the full storry if you have proper filter you dont need to wait to add fish you take the chance of your tank takeing a crap but you can still ad fish i have read as well as talked to a number of people that have added fish a day after the tank is set up you just take the chance of loseing a fish or to if your tank takes a crap

Sure you CAN. But we all know that it is stressfull for the fish, and they DO alot of times DIE when placed in to early. Now, Is it right? Is it ETHICAL, to purposly place fish in possible harms way??? What about purposely placing a Dog, or cat in a dirty enviroment with unhealthy air to breathe? A person?

You may have thought you were "Ambushed" here but in reality, most people on Canreef care too much about fish to see/hear that happen, thats all