PDA

View Full Version : Bioload of inverts?

MikeP
02-26-2009, 03:56 AM
I've set up a little biocube (14g). I'd like to make it mainly an invert tank. I'm just wondering how much shrimps and such contribute to the bioload of a tank? I'd like to put as many different kinds in as I can but don't want to overstock.

Thanks for any info.

fishytime
02-26-2009, 04:00 AM
A few of the ornamental shrimp are territorial, so you may be limited in that respect. Inverts generally speaking dont add much at all to your bio load, compared to a fish anyway.

MikeP
02-26-2009, 04:06 PM
That's what I figured, thanks Doug. The inverts I want to add are...

Peppermint Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Camel Shrimp
Small Reef Lobster
and some type of Urchin.

Thoughts anyone?

Zoaelite
02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Most echinoderms tend to be pretty docile (Urchins and Sea Stars) the only problem with urchins is with a smaller and newer tank they might have a limited food source (I know my urchin eats coraline all day long). Most of the shrimps will be fine together, I have heard of Fire/ Camel shrimp eating other shrimp but only in rare cases. I would say just watch out for coral banded and you should be good to go. Other than that what about a harlequin shrimp pair (Little harder for feeding but AMAZINGLY interesting) or a pistol shrimp/ goby? Either way sound like it should make a nice little species tank!
Levi
(Btw Mike shoot me a PM if your still interested in some zoa frags, I owe you a few but I'm sure there are some others that you wouldn't mind having!)