PDA

View Full Version : Is there a market for a marine only LFS around Parksville?

digital-audiophile
02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Background:

My wife and I love fish
My parents retired in Qualicum beach and we love it out there!

Question:

We were talking last night about what we really want to do with our lives, and we came to the conclusion that for the most part Calgary is a crummy place to live. I've lived here for most of my life (my wife all of hers) and we do not like it so much anymore. To busy, to arrogant, and most of all too cold.

Would there be a market for a Marine LFS in the area between Comox and Nanaimo? From what I have seen on canreef and some of the other forums there is not much for marine stores outside of Victoria and Duncan.

I know the island population is small but it may be a good business venture.. well we are not even interested in making lots of money, just enough to live a comfortable life and allow our daughter to grow up in a place that has more trees than concrete.

Anyhow.. maybe just a dream right now, but we all have to plan for the future :)

BlueAbyss
02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Interesting... I don't even live in BC but if there is a lack of LFS in the area you are speaking about (and a fair number of reefers in said area) I can't see it being a bad venture...

I might start selling fish and aquatic stuff out of my apartment here. There is NO LFS in the area, and I remember as a kid going to buy fish in someone's basement, and also in the back of an apartment... LOL I think you may have solidified this idea in my head.......

don.ald
02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Age of Aquariums new in Nanaimo this year also. that said, there are a number of SW hobbiests on the surronding smaller islands that would benefit from your venture!

Chaloupa
02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
there are a couple shops that have marine fish and supplies;
2 shops in Campbell River plus a home based business
1 shop in Courtenay just opened but has several tanks and gets in stuff regularly
and then Age of Aquarium in Nanaimo which is quite large and gets in new product very often!

Hard to say whether or not it would fly.....you never know until you make that leap! There are quite a few of us on the island...

Lance
02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
There are only a few S/W LFS on the Island. Population is over 700,000. IMO a well-run S/W store could do quite well. Aside from the new one in Nanaimo, there is a pretty fair store in Duncan and I believe a couple in Victoria.

Lance
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
there are a couple shops that have marine fish and supplies;
2 shops in Campbell River plus a home based business
1 shop in Courtenay just opened but has several tanks and gets in stuff regularly
and then Age of Aquarium in Nanaimo which is quite large and gets in new product very often!

Hard to say whether or not it would fly.....you never know until you make that leap! There are quite a few of us on the island...

Oh yeah, I forgot the new one in Courtenay, and the second one in C.R. is new to me. What's it like Sarah?

Delphinus
02-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Greg, I think your business venture is doomed to certain failure unless you had a very keen partner. ;)

Chaloupa
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the new one in Courtenay, and the second one in C.R. is new to me. What's it like Sarah?

PM sent on that...

Treebeard
02-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Either that, or a few very keen customers! Deep pockets would also be nice.

Greg, I think your business venture is doomed to certain failure unless you had a very keen partner. ;)

digital-audiophile
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I have oil money burning a hole in my pocket :p

Treebeard
02-25-2009, 08:41 PM
So you would be your own best customer? Hmmm, kind of like an alcoholic owning a pub!

I have oil money burning a hole in my pocket :p

joemama65
03-01-2009, 04:26 AM
hi , i use to live in parksville, now nanaimo, i would love to have a store in parksville, to be honest i dont think it would work. its to much of a small population to hit, of which the population is penny pinching seniors. And let's face it, sw tanks aint cheap. Sure you could open one but could u compete with victoria prices let alone j and l in vancouver. I was recently introduced to age of aquariums in nanaimo, and its my new favorite store, great selection, and i was further told that they were going to compete with j and l aquatics prices. Of which i witnessed. So good luck if u decide to go for it, it would always be nice to have another store to check out.

joemama65
03-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Oh another thing to, Best Friends Pets in parksville has a small selection of marine livestock and hardware, plus they have some die hard customers that shop there constanly, Maybe you could talk to them about selling, i know they are an older couple that doesnt look like they are enjoying themselves as much as they did. Just a thought

marie
03-01-2009, 04:41 AM
If you could supply free transportation to and from the ferry I'd be your best customer :mrgreen: .

Well I'd visit often anyway, you probably wouldn't get rich off me :lol:

Leah
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
How about half the way, say maybe Penticton and I could be your first employee/
customer and I'd accept shares in the company. Sounds wonderful ta' me. lol
I am actually thinking I should do something all joking aside. Guess I had better get
a real job and hope the economy picks up. Well what's more important fish or food
for the family. I will get back to you on that.

Aquattro
03-01-2009, 02:12 PM
As Joe said, I think you'd be throwing away money. Much of the population there are retirees, and they typically don't spend a whole lot on this type of thing. And even if you have a half a dozen best customers from the board, they aren't going to buy enough to pay your rent each month. I've seen several shops open and close over the years in Nanaimo, and a friend of mine had a FW store in Parksville years ago, he didn't last a year.