PDA

View Full Version : help indentifying fungus/shrub ?

reeferfulton
02-25-2009, 01:27 AM
is it good , is it bad ...

lol

all I know is its growing fast any help would be great ..

Its in the back of m7 12g nana

Snaz
02-25-2009, 01:29 AM
The red macro algae? Fine I'm sure. I had some on my Koralia for the longest time.

noirsphynx
02-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Looks like it could be red hair algae? If it is, it's bad stuff.

o.c.d.
02-25-2009, 01:48 AM
If you look close to the tips of a strand of algae and it is claw shaped. Then it is Ceramium. It can grow very fast and take over coral and real estate. I'd remove if you have trouble containing it. It will remove nutrients from your tank upon harvest, But try to contain it on one rock.

High tide
02-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Definitely a nuisance algae, it will manifest hard to reach places on corals and take over other real estate as well.

reeferfulton
02-25-2009, 02:21 AM
How should i go about getting rid of it ?

Anything that will eat it ?

thanks for the help thus far

High tide
02-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Manual removal seems to work best, if you can take the rock out that's ideal if not, make sure to not let pieces float around and settle elsewhere(turn off pumps). But, you should have a herbivore in place to keep it from manifesting again, Emerald crabs are working for me.

Haloreef
02-25-2009, 03:51 AM
I tried the manual removal for a while. It seem to love being pruned and would grow back faster. My hermits did not seem to whant to eat it and the Tangs would not either. I tried a sea hare it was recomended to me( can't remember who) bottom line... I do not have to prune any more. The sea hare passes over any areas with this alge and... poof gone.
Hope this helps.
K.

BC Mosaic
02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
BAD. BAD. BAD.

My tank is over run with this s..tf!
Long spine urchins eat it (but only if there is nothing else to eat in the tank). My 4 urchins are grazing on the glass mainly.
Harvesting encourages growth (so it seems).
There are Turbo snails (not Mexican ones but Tonga) that eat it. Oceanic Corals gets them in.
I'll try a Sea Hare but the books only mention the urchins as being the only remedy.

My recommmendation: Throw out that rock.
Good Luck

Myka
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
That stuff is awful. I've had some in my tank here and there...a pain in the butt to eradicate. Pull out as much as you can, and make sure you catch all the little broken bits.

reeferfulton
02-26-2009, 01:03 AM
wow , thanks for all the input , ill try a sea hare i guess , ( first i gotta google that lol )

thanks

.. googled it , and came up with giant sea slugs ?

... hmm