PDA

View Full Version : Carlson Surge or Borneman Flush Device

chwkreefer
06-05-2003, 01:24 AM
I've read a fair bit on both of these setups and both seem to have their share of pro's and cons. I would like your opinion as to which is better or which would be better in my tank (60"x24"x24").

I especially would like to hear from people who have these setups and could share some of their comments (positive and negative)

The carlson looks easier to make but from what I understand does create a lot more microbubbles, salt creep and noise.

Your thoughts please

zulu_principle
06-05-2003, 03:40 AM
I have several of the carlson type surge devices in my fishroom.

Pros

Cheap
Great Water Flow
Power is usually external, no PH in the water

Cons

Bubbles
Noise
Saltcreep
Bulbs need cleaning more often.

I am setting up a new tank this week and would not use anything but based on my warehouse tank enviornment, just not sure if I would use it in a tank which is not recessed into a wall.

My 2 cents

Wendell

kari
06-05-2003, 03:42 AM
Built a Borneman. Easy to build and worked fine. The large air bubbles didn't bother me. Didn't consider the amount of water level fluctuation this creates in the sump and decided to disconnect it the same day.

Kari

chwkreefer
06-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Hey Wendell,
My tank will be built within two walls with a closet access on the side of the tank as well (for maintenance/plumbing/whatever)

I am currently building a new house and the tank will be viewed from both sides. So I am very interested in hiding a surge device in the walls as I will have the room.

I have several of the carlson type surge devices in my fishroom.

Pros

Cheap
Great Water Flow
Power is usually external, no PH in the water

Cons

Bubbles
Noise
Saltcreep
Bulbs need cleaning more often.

I am setting up a new tank this week and would not use anything but based on my warehouse tank enviornment, just not sure if I would use it in a tank which is not recessed into a wall.

My 2 cents

Wendell