PDA

View Full Version : searching for some UV advice?

aquatechy
02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an issue that id like to get some help on. Here's the intro: i have a 25-watt Aqua UV sterilizer for my 100 gallon tank. The thing is that im finding it really really hard to buy a replacement bulb for it. :neutral: When i first bought the UV from Big Als, they brought in a regular stock of bulbs as well, so i had no concerns. But now, i've been chasing them for 5-6 months, and they haven't seen a UV bulb for that long. They say that they will be definately seing some in the summer. So, should i wait it out and hope to get a bulb, or should i put some money into a Pentair Lifeguard UV? I know for sure that i can get a bulb for the pentair without an issue. Any opinions?

Thanks so much!

naesco
02-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of an issue that id like to get some help on. Here's the intro: i have a 25-watt Aqua UV sterilizer for my 100 gallon tank. The thing is that im finding it really really hard to buy a replacement bulb for it. :neutral: When i first bought the UV from Big Als, they brought in a regular stock of bulbs as well, so i had no concerns. But now, i've been chasing them for 5-6 months, and they haven't seen a UV bulb for that long. They say that they will be definately seing some in the summer. So, should i wait it out and hope to get a bulb, or should i put some money into a Pentair Lifeguard UV? I know for sure that i can get a bulb for the pentair without an issue. Any opinions?

Thanks so much!

Take your UV unit to the store you bought it from. Ask to speak to the manager.
Tell him politely your problem.
Offer to either get a credit on the uv unit you bought and buy another unit from him o,r get his commitment to provide you with the bulb within say 45 days. Five months is too long. Be polite but be firm.

aquatechy
02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, im going to try that. Only thing is that i tried that the first month, and he was positive. i dont want to damage the vendor-consumer relationship, as he is my good friend. But anyway, on that note, I have a question. I was wondering, would it be more effective to plumb my UV into my return line and run all the filtered water through it, or should i take it out of the loop, reduce the head pressure on my return pump, and then use a seperate pump to run the UV? My reasoning for the second option is that i can run a greater turnover through the sumpthen use a smaller pump to run just the UV. Advice, suggestions, personal experience?
thanks!! :biggrin:

midgetwaiter
02-25-2009, 02:18 AM
Yeah, im going to try that. Only thing is that i tried that the first month, and he was positive. i dont want to damage the vendor-consumer relationship, as he is my good friend. But anyway, on that note, I have a question. I was wondering, would it be more effective to plumb my UV into my return line and run all the filtered water through it, or should i take it out of the loop, reduce the head pressure on my return pump, and then use a seperate pump to run the UV? My reasoning for the second option is that i can run a greater turnover through the sumpthen use a smaller pump to run just the UV. Advice, suggestions, personal experience?
thanks!! :biggrin:

The lower the flow through the UV the more effective it's going to be because of increased contact time. You can also remove it for service and such without having to take apart your return, the Aqua UV units are great but the wiper seal fails eventually. IMO the wiper is worth that potential failure point but if you have it inline with your return then the leak is worse and your return is down until you get a replacement.

Sent you a PM about replacement bulbs.