PDA

View Full Version : Reaquascaping

Newtoreef
02-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I Just got a bunch of rock from a member here. I currently have appox. 130 lbs of rock and want to add another 100 lbs. I have a 140 gal tank with 3 carpets 3 tangs 3 clowns a blennie and a couple wrasses, inverts ect. My question is whats the best way to go about adding the new rock with the least amount of stress on the current inhabitants? Any suggestions would be appreciated thx.

Newtoreef
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
No suggestions? anybody have any input at all?

Rbacchiega
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
230lbs of rock seems like alot for a 140. But anyways. If the rock is already cycled, you can add it to your tank without causing too much stress. If it isn't, I highly reccomend cycling it in a seprate container. In terms of stress to the inhabitants, it shouldn't be too bad as long as there is no cycle in the tank...

Newtoreef
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Not entirely sure if what I have 130 in there but thats what I was told when I bought the complete reef of a guy last year. The rock is fully cured and there should not be a cycle. I will take some before and after pics and show the progress. If I have to much rock I will toss some in a 55 Gal gravity fed refuge I will be setting up shortly after...:)

Rbacchiega
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
In the system I am setting up I'll have the majority of my live rock in the inline sump and frag tank. Is there a way you can get ahold of whoever you bought the system off of and see if they remember how much rock is in there? It's not that big of a deal, put as much as you can in the tank without it looking overcrowded and allow for lots of swimming space/coral growth. The rest toss in the sump or re-sell.

Whatigot
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
230lbs of rock seems like alot for a 140. But anyways. If the rock is already cycled, you can add it to your tank without causing too much stress. If it isn't, I highly reccomend cycling it in a seprate container. In terms of stress to the inhabitants, it shouldn't be too bad as long as there is no cycle in the tank...

+1.

that sums it up nice.

my2rotties
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I have 300 in my 260g and there is ample room. Prior to me adding 175 pounds f it, it took the smaller fish out and watched the others so they would not get crushed in the shuffle. Just do a few pieces at a time and stare it for awhile to know the shapes and sizes that work together. It took me well over six hours to add mine but I have never had to move them since I added them. With ample rock you have lots of caves and tunnels of all different shapes and sizes. Use the flat rocks as shelves. My canreef buddy came over and was awestruck at the "real estate" I have for future corals. I have 18 fish, some pretty large and you cannot find them even if you look for them. I have tunnels and spaces for all the different sized of fish to hide and sleep.

Take your time, take your shirt off and wear rubber boots. You will have a blast!!!

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Whoa! 230lbs of rock in a 140G :D

One thing I would say is be very careful it doesn't just collect detritus. You can have too much LR in a tank if it cuts off flow and creates dead spots or areas that just collect crap (literally).

Sump is good but again be careful. When I keep rock in the sump, I use PVC to raise it up off the bottom a bit so water can flow through the sump freely. Otherwise I used to find that it just collects detritus.

Why not just keep like 140-180 lbs. and make some money for frags off the rest?

Newtoreef
02-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Thx for the replies. I'm going to work with what i have and if I have more left over I will keep it in the fuge. plan on doing a FOWLR later on anyway. wifey likes the puffers and triggers. Shouldn't have a prob with flow got the biggest pan world pump running the whole system with a scwd. To much flow at this point it will calm down once I plum in the fuge and frag tank.

Rbacchiega
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
+1.

that sums it up nice.

Because I'm nice!

Everyone else has made great suggestions as well. I think you'll have no problem with figuring this out...