PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my 150 gallon tank....question re: flow/light for coral

newreefer_59
02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
General question for water flow and light for coral. Does SPS require more flow and more light than LPS, or is that too general a question?

xtreme
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Generally SPS does require more flow and lighting. What type of lighting do you have and how much flow in your display tank?

newreefer_59
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
I have 6 (4 foot) X T5 lighting and 2 Tunze 6055's right now. I also have the 7095 controller which has not been installed yet and was planning on getting 2 additional Tunze powerheads which would also be added to the controller to make 4 PH's with the controller. If I plan LPS lower in the tank and SPS higher, does this sound enough?

Thanks

Rbacchiega
02-23-2009, 05:23 PM
You should be able to get away with some SPS higher in the tank. Generally for SPS you want to aim for at least 40x the volume of your tank in terms of flow. Using rockwork to re-direct flow and create areas of less flow and less light will help you be able to make it a mixed reef.

I have zoas on the bottom of my tank, but I have a chalice about middle of the tank but out of alot of direct lights so it works. At the same time, I have some Monti (a lower light SPS) in the middle of the tank and my Acro, Millie, Digi are all higher up.