PDA

View Full Version : copper treatment and water changes

e46er
02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
ive been doing a copper treatment in a hospital tank for ich am i meant to be doing water changes ? its been a week and i generally do WC weekly.
treatment will be over iin 7 days do i leave it and jsut do large water changes for the remander of the QT of should i do a WC now and then reset the copper values

i have crabs
02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
if you dont have any amonia or nitrite then i would skip the wc untill your done with the copper

Trigger Man
02-22-2009, 05:23 PM
if you dont have any amonia or nitrite then i would skip the wc untill your done with the copper

exactly what I would do and have done in the past. If you do a wc then you lower the copper concentration in the tank and you would have to add back the removed copper.

e46er
02-22-2009, 05:45 PM
ok thanks guys thats what i figured but then it suddenly dawned on me that with hospital tanks your ment to do WC daily or every 2 days to keep up water quality so i started to second guess

e46er
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
my fish went into QT feb 14 its now march 22 so its been 5 weeks would next week be ok toadd them back in the display tank its been empty for 5 weeks now with just rock snails and 2 urchins hopefully killing off the ich parasite.. some websites say 4 weeks some say 6 weeks.
so in the past what have other people waited? is 6 weeks enough??? im dying with my fish in a 20G with PVC when the 120 is waiting

Lance
03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
ok thanks guys thats what i figured but then it suddenly dawned on me that with hospital tanks your ment to do WC daily or every 2 days to keep up water quality so i started to second guess

I've found that I have to change about 20% of the water every 4-5 days to keep the ammonia levels in check. (I have 19 fish in a 180 gal QT) After the water change I have to top up the copper again. I've got 3 more days to go with the copper treatments.

e46er
03-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks but copper treatment is over i had another question in post 4 so i asked on my original thread on the problem instead of making a new thread

marie
03-23-2009, 12:29 AM
After going through all the hassle of taking the fish out and treating them I would think it would be better to be safe then sorry and wait the extra week.
I personally went 8 weeks before placing fish back in the display but then I had marine velvet

e46er
03-23-2009, 12:33 AM
ok thank you i was going to wait the full 6 weeks anyways im too tired to do it this weekend and during the week im fairly busy
i was just wondering if 6 weeks was long enough to kill the ich in the tank regardless of what stage the parasite was at if 6 weeks without a host was enough or what other people had done ie 8 weeks

thanks for the reply i dont wanna go through catching them again that flame angel was NOT easy