PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fans

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-22-2009, 04:57 AM
I am trying to figure out if I should use computer fans instead of the big, ugly, loud fans I use now to cool the heat from my lights.

I have no idea how much work it is to wire them up to a power supply, so I am curious about what that takes and also how expensive it would be.

Are they worth it? Strong enough to really do much?

I see them all the time on ebay...anyone recommend any of the ebay computer fans? Nice thing about them I guess is that they are already wired and come with legs.

Just looking for general advice or comments.

rocketlily
02-22-2009, 05:45 AM
In the summer I used 2 computer fans from princess auto wired together. Total cost was under $15. Pointed each one between the surface of the tank and the bottom of a MH and had them on a timer to come on with the lights. Really helped to cut down the heat. Haven't had to use them this winter.

johncody
02-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Nutts GSP i could have shown you my lighting system while you where here today. Hmm maybe if you come back and buy the Naso or lawnmower or saddleback or clam i could show you :)
Cheers Bud..... JC.

Jack
02-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Your lights don't need cooling.

Is your tank over-heating?

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Your lights don't need cooling.

Is your tank over-heating?

Yup its been higher than my last set up was and this is still without a return pump (which will add a bit of heat). The heat at the water surface from the Lumenbrights is nuts. The last tank had a canopy and lights were about 10" from the water...this time they are 14" off the water and WAY more heat. The tank was hitting 83, so I am using the old fans I used on my last set up but I hate how big they are and loud. They come on about 3 times a day for 2 hours or so each time. This set up won't work like this in summer.

Needs cooling for sure.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
In the summer I used 2 computer fans from princess auto wired together. Total cost was under $15. Pointed each one between the surface of the tank and the bottom of a MH and had them on a timer to come on with the lights. Really helped to cut down the heat. Haven't had to use them this winter.

What are these fans actually made for? Cars? I have found a lot of 12V car fans that look great and are dead quiet but I don't know how to wire them and if you even can wire 12V to work with an outlet.

I might be able to get my brother to grab me a few since he works at a car parts shop.

How easy were to to wire to a power supply?

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Nutts GSP i could have shown you my lighting system while you where here today. Hmm maybe if you come back and buy the Naso or lawnmower or saddleback or clam i could show you :)
Cheers Bud..... JC.

Yeah too bad. Your Naso is a really nice fish but I think maybe too small for my tank cause the other tangs are kind of big. Plus I have a Naso and not sure how he would react to another.

Jack
02-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I thought 20-22" off the water?

rocketlily
02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Working on some pictures. I'll post them in a few minutes.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought 20-22" off the water?

No that was WAY too high. There was more light in the room than the tank :)

I also went through the entire RC thread about the lumenbrights and mostly everyone found to get the best PAR and decent spread, 12" to the bottom of the reflector worked well (makes the bulb about 18" off the water). I know that article said 20" or so but as most people found in that thread, 20" was too high.

johncody
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
my lights were 10" off the top of the water 3 250 SE MH and i had 4 5" fans running and center light to come on 1 hrs before the 2 outside lights and run for 5 hrs as a set then outside 2 shut down and center light for 30 more mins and then shut down to activate led moon lights for the night and my temp range when from 78.4 to 80.1 through out a 24 hrs period.

Cheers JC

rocketlily
02-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's the picture of the fans I am using. I have one pointed underneath each of the MH's.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/medium/Fan.JPG

Here's the plug in they are wired to:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/Plug_In.jpg

When buying the plug in you have to make sure it can handle the number of fans you are using. Each fan was .17A (or 170 mA) and the plug in is 450 mA. The total of the fans must not exceed the output of the plug in.

An ordinary lamp cord was wired to the plug in, then each of the fans were wired to the cord. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of this process. Anyone familiar with house or auto wiring will be able to help you with it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Here's the picture of the fans I am using. I have one pointed underneath each of the MH's.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/medium/Fan.JPG

Here's the plug in they are wired to:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/Plug_In.jpg

When buying the plug in you have to make sure it can handle the number of fans you are using. Each fan was .17A (or 170 mA) and the plug in is 450 mA. The total of the fans must not exceed the output of the plug in.

An ordinary lamp cord was wired to the plug in, then each of the fans were wired to the cord. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of this process. Anyone familiar with house or auto wiring will be able to help you with it.

No thats great. Pretty much what I figured I would do but just wanted to make sure since I am not great with electrical.

My brother found me a few great car fans made for interior use (so really quiet) that look very nice and are incredibly strong. I think I will try a few of them.

brizzo
02-24-2009, 07:04 AM
Check this out;

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=17129

NCIX has a great PC fan selection. Figured I'd share this link, as it's a 3-speed fan so you can try different speeds and check results as not to cause over evaporation. Use a similar transformer just like rocketlily posted pic of :mrgreen:

oilfieldsafety
03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I picked up mine from Memory Express they were $19 ea. Although they only move 30 CFM a piece I sure like the noise level, 8db.