PDA

View Full Version : Nano water

jalemboo
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
need some help, my water is getting really cloudly for the past two weeks, i changed 10 % twice in two week but no improvement.

Corey

Myka
02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
We can't help you unless you provide more details. Please provide as many details as you can. What color is the cloudiness? How long has the tank been set up? What is in it? What equipment are you using? What are the parameters (list everything you test for including salinity and temperature)? That will be a good start.

Snaz
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Whats changed recently? What is your water source?

jalemboo
02-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Snaz/Myka,

I have a 28G HQI nano tank. i started my tank about 6 weeks ago. Last week, i added a long tentacle anenome, assuie mushroom and few SPS.

i did my test tonight and here is my result.

phosphate -0.25
ca - between 480-490
kh=12.32
ALK - 4.4
No2- close to zero if not zero
NH4 - between 0-0.1
ph - 8.6

Actually my water is not cloudy, just a lot of noticable particle and small bugs that normally stuck to the glass, flowing around in the water and it bothers me alot. Come to think about it, it might be the Kent Marine Coral Accel i started using since last week, but not sure if that is the root cause.

Thanks you for your help.

jalemboo
02-23-2009, 05:46 AM
i also got a factory skimmer, planning to get a tunze 9002 soon......hopefully in the next month or so.

BlueAbyss
02-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Hmm, sounds like you went a little too fast... A 'nem already? And the tank is only 6 weeks old? Wow and SPS? When did you add said livestock? Are you running any sort of mechanical filtration (this should remove the particles)? The little bugs are likely 'pods, immature tanks generally go through a period where there are a billion of them... they'll likely disappear in time as your tank matures. Also I would stop dosing anything until you get things figured out. In the mean time, continue with your water changes and take the wait and see approach, unless you notice a decline in the health of your livestock. This problem may just be cosmetic and nothing to worry about, and it may well clear up given some time.

And slow down! BAD things happen when you move too fast in this hobby and can be very disheartening and frustrating.

Snaz
02-23-2009, 07:28 AM
And slow down! BAD things happen when you move too fast in this hobby and can be very disheartening and frustrating.

+1, too much too fast. Try again.

jalemboo
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
yeah, i didn't know you cant put SPS in the tank until few months later, i just found out last week. Important lesson learned!!!

Flash
02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
i didn't add anything to my tank for 2 months... (except for my CUC which I started at 6 weeks... I added a fish at 3months.. I plan to do the same with the tank I just set up (mind you my LR wasn't 100% cured so that added a few weeks!

jalemboo
02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
My livestock is looking really good, except the water.. Everything open up and looked healthly.

i will not add anything to my tank until few more months. i will do 10% water change on a weekly basis.

This is so addicting, planning to get rid of my cichlid and turn my 36G freshwater tank to a reef tank.

Snaz
02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
This is so addicting, planning to get rid of my cichlid and turn my 36G freshwater tank to a reef tank.

Hook, line and sinker. Welcome to saltwater!

BlueAbyss
02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Hook, line and sinker. Welcome to saltwater!

+1 even reading about the methodology sucks you in :lol:

My livestock is looking really good, except the water.. Everything open up and looked healthly.

i will not add anything to my tank until few more months. i will do 10% water change on a weekly basis.

As long as everything looks healthy and your tests show no problems, you're good. The cloudiness will likely settle on it's own. Maybe try doing slightly larger water changes, like 15% on a weekly basis (or 10% every 5 days). Your parameters will come into line quicker and it will help with keeping them there.

Good luck! :biggrin:

jalemboo
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
IS phosphate -0.25 BAD? what is phosphate should be?

jalemboo
02-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Just did another water change today, around 20%. Water is looking better with less particle flowing around.

I also noticed the water looked green when i did my water change...??

MCC
03-28-2009, 07:50 PM
phosphates dont kill your tank...ammonia and nitrates kill your tank..

phosphate just gives you unwanted aglae....

You got a JBJ 28 .... have you read on about refuguim mods?? go to nano-reef.com
you will learn lots more about what you can do with your tanks..and how to handle nano tanks...they are totally diff. from big tanks.... as they are more forgiving...

you are going way too fast...and please slow down.... i would actually take all that stock out espeically the anemime ....

i got a tunze 9002 on my nano.. and it works wonders.... add a refugium..and your tank will be far more healthy then now...

BlueAbyss
05-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Any changes? I'd like to hear how this is going :biggrin: