PDA

View Full Version : Changing live sand

likwid
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 28 NanoCube HQI that has been set up for about 8 months now. Everything is going great and I have never had any problems with algae or anything. The only mistake I made was using crushed coral as my substrate. I would like to replace this with a very fine white live sand. How hard would this be to do, what is the best way to do it, and what are the repercussions of swapping out substrate?

Thanks

Myka
02-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Crushed coral is a bit harder to swap out than sand, but it's doable. By chance, is it fine enough that you can siphon it out? If so, you are lucky, and you can simply just siphon out a 1/8th section of the cc. If not, then what you need to do is turn off all the pumps and use a gravel vacuum and clean a 1/8th section of the cc really well. Then use some sort of scoop (I would use a noodle scoop with holes in it so the water will drain) to scoop out the section that you cleaned really well. Then use a scoop (with no holes) to gently lower the sand to the bottom, and gently pour each scoop into the area where you took the cc out. Move really slowly when you are scooping out and scooping in to disturb as little as possible, but your tank will definately be cloudy. Your tank may remain cloudy for the entire time it takes to swap over, and maybe even a week after that. Turn the skimmer back on as soon as you are done, but wait a couple hours before you turn the powerheads back on. Do 1/8th of the cc twice per week so that it will take 4 weeks to complete. If you do it too fast your tank will spike ammonia and crash.

likwid
02-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks Myka. I only have about an inch of substrate in most areas. Could I just syphon out the sand and leave about 1/4" and then just put the new sand on top, using the technique you described?

chandigz
02-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Rather than leaving a 1/4 " of crushed coral and covering it, it would be better to do a section at a time. That way you are less likely to start a new cycle. If you do it this way, the old crushed coral will help seed your new sand. If you cover the crushed coral you will kill anything benifitial on it. You will also find that the crushed coral will work its way to the surface of the sand over time. I find that most bagged live sand is fairly clean and doesn't cloud the water to much if added carefully. I use a cylander like a gravel vac, fill it with sand and lower it into the water with my hand over the bottom and then let it slowly slide out the tube. good luck!

likwid
02-22-2009, 02:50 AM
I should have mentioned this before, but I plan on leaving about 40% of the current substrate in the tank. All of the substrate under and close to the live rock will remain. My rock is all piled up in the back-center of my tank, so I would be replacing the entire amount of substrate in the front of the tank and the sides. By doing it this way, am I able to take out larger portions at a time each week?

Myka
02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I should have mentioned this before, but I plan on leaving about 40% of the current substrate in the tank. All of the substrate under and close to the live rock will remain. My rock is all piled up in the back-center of my tank, so I would be replacing the entire amount of substrate in the front of the tank and the sides. By doing it this way, am I able to take out larger portions at a time each week?

Not unless you want to risk a tank crash. Why do you not want to change all your substrate? The less cc the better.

fishytime
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
If you leave the cc in, the finer sand will likely just settle through the cc.

Sam1969
02-22-2009, 03:46 PM
To put the sand in your tank, I use a piece of 4" pvc pipe a little longer than the depth of your tank so the end is just above the water. By placing one end on the bottom glass and the other out of the water, you can then use a measuring cup to dump sand into the pipe and let it settle to the bottom without clouding your water.

Nihoa
02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
im going through the same thing and got some advice on this thread: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49335

likwid
02-22-2009, 10:52 PM
So I tried to siphon out the crushed coral, but my tube is not big enough to get it out, as it plugs up within seconds. I tried to scoop it out as well, but it just causes a huge cloud storm. Anyone know where I can get a rubber tube that is around 2 inches in diameter that I can use as a siphon? Can't be PVC or anything hard, as it must be able to bend out of my tank and into my bucket.

zazzoo
02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
what i did was put fine sand on top of the crushed corals.... it was to much wrk for me to remove ... and it works good :D ... got a fine bed of sand on top of the crushed corals... and looks pretty good with some chunks of crushed corals mixed in :D

likwid
02-22-2009, 11:31 PM
what i did was put fine sand on top of the crushed corals.... it was to much wrk for me to remove ... and it works good :D ... got a fine bed of sand on top of the crushed corals... and looks pretty good with some chunks of crushed corals mixed in :D

Ya that's what I am trying to get away from. My substrate right now is crushed coral and fine sand mixed, but no matter what the big chunks always end up on top of the sand and it looks like crap in my opinion.

zazzoo
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
need lots of sand... i went crushed onthe bottom .. then med aragonite... then fine on top so i got about 3 layers

likwid
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
need lots of sand... i went crushed onthe bottom .. then med aragonite... then fine on top so i got about 3 layers

Ahh, well that would make more sense. Not really what I am looking for though. Anyone know where I can get a large bendable tube to use as a siphon for this thick crushed coral?

zazzoo
02-22-2009, 11:49 PM
might be hard that stuff doesnt siphon too well

fragNplug
02-23-2009, 02:34 AM
i just did a sand replacement had to remove some black sand i thought was so awesome looking, then decided on white.
i moved all my sand to my sump and replaced the main tanks sand.
I wont recommend this as im no expert but it did work for me.