PDA

View Full Version : New Addition

StirCrazy
06-03-2003, 04:12 AM
Well I got a phone call yesterday about a new arival in a local shop and today I brought him home.

the pics arn't the best and I will get more as he becomes a little braver.
so fare he has eaten a couple krill tonight and he has been bannging around making his cave bigger.

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/aclimating.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/eating.jpg

He is about 3 inches long and pretty colorfull.

Steve

Van down by the river
06-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Very Nice!
Keep us updated an how fast the growth is. He should more than double his size, I'm curious how long it will take. Just curious, did you rescue It or request one?

StirCrazy
06-03-2003, 06:05 AM
well I had mentioned that I would like one about 8 months ago.. and one just happen to come in.. the Owner coulden't remember who wanted it but saw them on the list and ordered 2.. one was DOA and this is the other.

Steve

Beverly
06-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Well I got a phone call yesterday about a new arival in a local shop and today I brought him home.

Steve,

What the heck is that?

StirCrazy
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
What the heck is that?

A Mantis shrimp.

Steve

Beverly
06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
A Mantis shrimp.

Am I crazy or what? Okay, ignore the first question...

Why do you want a mantis shrimp? In what kind of tank are you keeping it? What other inhabitants are in that tank? Are you crazy or what? (Maybe ignore that question too.) Aren't these guys the kind of beasts you DON'T want in a reef?

Quinn
06-03-2003, 01:47 PM
probably a species tank. they're very interesting in their own right, des had one for a while. very intelligent, almost creepy.

Beverly
06-03-2003, 01:53 PM
probably a species tank. they're very interesting in their own right, des had one for a while. very intelligent, almost creepy.

I'm thinking Steve has it in a species tank, too, but wanted to hear from the horse's mouth where he's keeping it and with what other animals.

Quinn, Speaking of creepy ....

Remember I said I had a second mithrax crab in our 42 hex? Well, I found it dead yesterday. On the one hand I'm happy that it's finally out of the tank and I don't have to be concerned about catching it. On the other hand, I wonder why it died?

Quinn
06-03-2003, 02:14 PM
that is kinda creepy! with luck i'll find my mantis shrimp dead as well, i can't believe i was dumb enough to throw him into my fuge without getting an ID first. and i'm worried there are more of them in the rocks in my display tank. :neutral:

Mak
06-03-2003, 08:10 PM

teevee's right on this one. They are really entertaining (most entertaining animal I have and I have 3 tanks) and are definitely smart. Steve's appears to be a Peacock (Ondylactus sp.), I have a Gonodylactus Smithi which has been in with a couple Chromis for about 2-3 months and they have obviously crossed paths numerous times.

Enjoy Steve-o :mrgreen:

Aquattro
06-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Mak, I believe Steve's is a smithi also. I'm pretty sure it isn't an Odontodactylus scyllarus.

Aquattro
06-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Here is a decent link with some cool mantis info.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/aquarius/index.html

Van down by the river
06-03-2003, 08:36 PM
It's hard to tell from the pictures, We'll know if it gets bigger it's not G.smithii as it would already be almost full grown. A better picture might help.

Aquattro
06-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Van, I know it isn't a peacock, as I saw this guy at the store before Steve got it. Not real sure it's a smithi, but I am pretty sure it isn't a peacock (or maybe a VERY stressed female). A good photo to Dr. Caldwell will clarify, I'm sure.

Van down by the river
06-03-2003, 09:03 PM
If you've seen it first hand then I would go with your judgement as I've only seen a picture.

Aquattro
06-03-2003, 09:16 PM
If you've seen it first hand then I would go with your judgement as I've only seen a picture.

Well, before I bet money, I'd like to see it in a real home. It was in a stressful environment when I saw it and maybe the coloration I would expect, even from a female peacock, was very faded. If Steve can get a closeup of the head, we'll be better able to tell.

Mak
06-03-2003, 09:53 PM
I thought it also might have been a G.Smithi. It's not as cool look'n but at least you stand a very good chance of being able to keep other stuff (except for other hard shelled critters) with it, provided that whatever you add does not try to get in the Stomatopods cave :eek: and also there is a less of a worry about him club'n trough the glass.

StirCrazy
06-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Which ever he/she is, he is definatly a good clubber :mrgreen: he/she was making a condo last night. One interesting thing I noticed is that last night he/she put some rocks infront of his/her front door and this moreing he/she moved them. I am going to see if he/she closes up the cave every night like this.

Beverly, it is not realy a species tank, it has hermits, snails corals ect.. and one or two Mantis.. so far no new shells lying around as I am keeping him/her well fed. I might try a couple of damsels in the tank (something cheep to see if he/she will alow room mates or not)

He/she is comming out to get food but he/she isn't comfterable enuf to stay out long enuf for a pic yet.. but as soon as I get a good one I will post it.

Steve

Van down by the river
06-03-2003, 11:10 PM
I had a small one for a few years and it closed itself in with a small rock everynight.

Mak
06-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Steve mine spends quite a bit of time everynight closing up her cave. She makes sure it is perfect and I mean PERFECT :rolleyes: :lol: .

Also they just don't like other shelled critter's I don't think it has anything to do with them being hungry or not.

Aquattro
06-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Depending on species, they will close up the front door every night. Just as a matter of interest, peacocks are a species that doesn't usually do that every night.
I also found out that although they are related to shrimp, they are in fact not shrimp. Who'da thunk??

Mak
06-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Stomatopods they are. I'm thinking of setting up a little 10g beside my 20g for a Praying Mantis. Now that would be :cool: .

StirCrazy
06-04-2003, 02:11 AM
ok so this pic is a little better but still not the best.

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/eating2.jpg

Steve

Mak
06-04-2003, 04:11 AM
Yep, looks just like my G.Smithi. If I don't give him the shrimp right away he clubs the heck out of my feeding stick :mrgreen: .

StirCrazy
06-04-2003, 04:13 AM
this one has been as gental as could be. takes ahold of it and gently pulls it out of the stick.. I would bet I could hand feed it but I am not that brave yet.

Steve

StirCrazy
06-05-2003, 03:42 AM
damn this guy/girl is intelligent..

I had heard how intelligent they were but I never thought it was to this degree.

for 3 nights now it has baracaded its hole with 3 rocks.. the same 3 rocks in the same places exactly.

Steve

Mak
06-05-2003, 04:22 PM
damn this guy/girl is intelligent..

I had heard how intelligent they were but I never thought it was to this degree.

Yeah maybe you should get some Keyboard lessons from here :lol: :rolleyes: :wink:... J/K of course

StirCrazy
06-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Yeah maybe you should get some Keyboard lessons from here :lol: :rolleyes: :wink:... J/K of course

and whare would "Here" be exactly? :mrgreen:

Steve

Mak
06-06-2003, 05:13 AM
LOL :lol: , yeah I know this keyboard is acting up here too. It's not my computer tho :mrgreen: . Here is supposed to be her :redface: :lol: .

Picked me up another Mantis today. It's 1" and I hope it's a Peacock :cool: .