PDA

View Full Version : how to educate a seagrass filefish

reeferious
02-20-2009, 06:59 AM
had periodic outbreaks of pest anemones. aiptasias are pretty much put down by a gang of peppermints. majanos are different story altogether, i have so far tried boiling water, various injections and electrocution. each time i wiped out 90% of them but there are always remnants that hide between and under rocks. as a final solution this time i've bought a 2 inch seagrass filefish to do them in. only problem is this fish doesn't know it's suppose to swoop down and do mortal combat to these guys. after a few days of fruitless waiting i finally netted the fish and moved it to a 10 gallon tank along with a rock sprouting majanos. i've purposely not fed the fish but have thrown in a few chopped up majanos hoping this would arouse it's feeding instinct. i'm giving the fish a few more days to start acting like a normal filefish and eat up these majanos. if not i would put it back in main tank and go back to old ways of boiling, injecting, electrocution etc. btw fish color is somewhat undertoned but anyone who looks into its catlike eyes would absolutely just fall in love.

High tide
02-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Try getting the fish eating, to start, and then put it up to the challenge. The fish may not have the energy or the will to eat anemones right now...it may never, but it's your responsibility now to make sure the fish stays alive. It might come around when it gets it's strength back.

reeferious
02-20-2009, 08:11 AM
thanks for the concern. this fish is very healthy and eating everything but anemones. i'm only purposely starving it a few days hoping it would start on the anemones.

High tide
02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
I hear ya on that...good to know. Some people just want to get the job done and don't care about the fish, or other organism, after the job is done. I hope he does get the job done for you, I've got a couple mojanos myself.:smile:

reefy
02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
had periodic outbreaks of pest anemones. aiptasias are pretty much put down by a gang of peppermints. majanos are different story altogether, i have so far tried boiling water, various injections and electrocution. each time i wiped out 90% of them but there are always remnants that hide between and under rocks. as a final solution this time i've bought a 2 inch seagrass filefish to do them in. only problem is this fish doesn't know it's suppose to swoop down and do mortal combat to these guys. after a few days of fruitless waiting i finally netted the fish and moved it to a 10 gallon tank along with a rock sprouting majanos. i've purposely not fed the fish but have thrown in a few chopped up majanos hoping this would arouse it's feeding instinct. i'm giving the fish a few more days to start acting like a normal filefish and eat up these majanos. if not i would put it back in main tank and go back to old ways of boiling, injecting, electrocution etc. btw fish color is somewhat undertoned but anyone who looks into its catlike eyes would absolutely just fall in love.

hi Ken,
I think you posted on the wrong section!!

BlueAbyss
02-20-2009, 08:22 PM
hi Ken,
I think you posted on the wrong section!!

+1 :wink: