PDA

View Full Version : splicing into ballast wires to hook up fans...

Quinn
06-02-2003, 11:13 PM
i'm planning to splice into my dual 400w TAR PFO MH ballast to wire up my two canopy fans. i'm wondering who else has done this and how it went? the thought scares the crap out of me - what if something goes wrong.

Canadian Man
06-02-2003, 11:58 PM
what I would do Quinn is run a wire from the two fans together and just use a separate timer. I have my fans hooked up to my flourescent ballast's but I have power wires for that going to a screw in type block connector that is easy to do.

Delphinus
06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Agreed... You'll likely want them independent of your halides. I have one fan running 24/7 (canopy gets way too wet at night otherwise, and the thought of wet wiring, halide bulbs, fluorescent sockets, wasn't sitting too well with me) and the other turns on at the same time as the fluorescents which overlaps the halides by an hour on each side.

BCOrchidGuy
12-20-2003, 12:25 AM
I was wondering why the folks that manufacture the canopies have them hooked to the MH I thoght the fans should come on with the fluorescents.

Doug

Canadian Man
12-20-2003, 03:26 AM
I was wondering why the folks that manufacture the canopies have them hooked to the MH I thoght the fans should come on with the fluorescents.

Doug

The Flourescents would not need to have fans because they would not put out as much heat as the halides.

StirCrazy
12-20-2003, 03:37 AM
ok here is what you do.. go buy one of thoes plugs that allows you to plug 3 things into one outlet. plug this into your timer for your MH lights. then plug your fans into this. that way you controle your fans and lights with the same timer.

Steve

Bob I
12-20-2003, 03:40 AM
i'm planning to splice into my dual 400w TAR PFO MH ballast to wire up my two canopy fans. i'm wondering who else has done this and how it went? the thought scares the crap out of me - what if something goes wrong.

Should not be a problem if one is qualified to do such a thing. what scares the crap out of me is people who lack proper training just willy nilly going ahead and playing with things that could easily burn your house down. If you want to arrange a time I will do it for you. :rolleyes:

Quinn
12-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the advice guys but this thread is rather old now... :lol:

StirCrazy
12-20-2003, 04:51 AM
:eek: Jon quit doing that :mrgreen:

Steve

Canadian Man
12-20-2003, 05:10 AM
:eek: Jon quit doing that :mrgreen:

Steve :razz: Wasn't me it was Doug! :razz: :mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
12-20-2003, 05:20 AM
Doug who?... couldn't have been me, I'm just plain confused about everything... ya know.. Orchids are looking easy again.

The other Doug