PDA

View Full Version : question??

365seasons
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
This may be a silly question, but how do you siphon a tank with sand??:redface:

We have a large siphon, and a python for our fresh water tank.

Our salt water tank is in dire need of a clean, but everytime we try to siphon, it feels like we're siphoning out more sand than gunk...

Any tips or tricks would be very helpful.

Thank you!

my2rotties
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I have two sand sifting Gobies (Dragon and Golden headed) since I pull more sand out then water. They do a most excellent job and are fun to watch too.

chandigz
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I have never siphoned the sand, but I do siphon the detrius off the bottom. My large clean up crew usually looks after most of the cleaning for me. I just change water.

365seasons
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
So it would be easier to get clean up critters than to try and maintain clean sand in the tank via the siphon??

We have a sand sifting starfish, which I've been informed is too big for our tank, so he may be going.

What other critters would be a good idea to help keep the sand white??

365seasons
02-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I have never siphoned the sand, but I do siphon the detrius off the bottom. My large clean up crew usually looks after most of the cleaning for me. I just change water.

oh and how do you siphon the detrius off the bottom? When I try, just the sand comes up. Is there a trick for this??

Whatigot
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
tell us about your tank, or to make things easier in the future, add it's specs to your signature so you don't always have to post them...

I use a fighting conch and a orange lip conch in my tank, but I have lots of sand and they are in a 72 gallon display.
I wouldn't put them in anything smaller.

digital-audiophile
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I've never considered using a syphon on a tank with sand. I just have snails crabs and a goby that sift through it.

chandigz
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
oh and how do you siphon the detrius off the bottom? When I try, just the sand comes up. Is there a trick for this??
I just use a small hose and suck the detrius as i'm doing a water change. I keep the end away from the sand a bit so I don't suck much sand.