PDA

View Full Version : Majestic has a injury

my2rotties
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
After being so happy that my Majestic angel is so healthy and such a great fish, I noticed she is sick today. I just set up a 10g QT tank with a bubbler, skimmer and heater, and it is bare. All I have on hand is Methylene blue.

I have her in a pail acclimating to the blue water slowly that is in my 10g tank at the moment. I will try to snap a picture but it is hard to see the injury. It is on the top of her head and looks like scales are falling off and a sore is developing. She was at the top of the tank, but still swimming, but did not want any food. I don't know what it is but I figured I better get her out ASAP and keep her in the 10g to heal up.

I live out of town and the closest LFS is not open until 2pm today and I figured I would treat her with the Methylene blue for now. She is not breathing hard but I was easily able to catch her, which means she must not be feeling well. When a fish net comes out, generally my tank becomes empty very quickly.

I have my brand new water change water in the 10g that is matched to my tank water for salinity. I figured I should keep all levels the way they are at them moment.

The area in question looks like a thumb print sized hole starting. She is very fat and healthy aside of this occurrence that just appeared this morning. Perhaps she scraped herself on one of my corals and it looks like that but I know it could become infected and kill her if I don't do something quickly.

I know without a picture for diagnosis it is just a guessing game but I doubt my iphone will get the snap shot you all need. The LFS I bought her form is closed on Thursdays but if I ever have a problem with any fish they will take them and cure them if possible. Since nobody is there I am left to treat her myself until tomorrow.

Any advise on what I can do to treat her would be much appreciated. I love this fish and she has been so healthy and happy. Maybe I am worrying over nothing, but I won't take any chances.

I just took a couple of pictures and have to load them from my phone. Hopefully you can see something. Blue water with an injury on the blue part of the fish is not helpful.

my2rotties
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Never posted a pic like this so here we go... it is the top left part of the head. It does not show up that well. It looks like it is peeling and blistering.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/my2rotties/001-5.jpg

naesco
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Medicate with a neomycin based medication as most of the others are useless. Having said that if someone else has a positive experience with another med, consider trying that.

my2rotties
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
She's in my QT tank with the Methylene blue until I get into town for something else. She seems a little better now, but looks bored silly. She has nothing to hide behind and as we all know angels like to hide behind things a lot. I just hope QT helps instead of hinders her recovery. I always find it is stressful on the fish.

mark
02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
not sure the problem with the fish, but in such a small QT need to be careful with the ammonia build up. Depends of course on fish and tank size but can get a lethal amount in almost a day.

As for Meth blue seen referenced for a FW Dip (and have used myself) but not continuous.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/methblueart.htm

my2rotties
02-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Not to worry I have a skimmer on it right now and have to do 25% water changes daily or more if I feel I need to. She's pretty little about 3" and all by herself. She has lots of swimming room, and a watchful eye on her. I took the day off of work to set up the tank and catch her. Now I have twice as much work for me tomorrow but so far she is alive and that is what counts.:smile: I am optimistic at this point since she seems much better already.

not sure the problem with the fish, but in such a small QT need to be careful with the ammonia build up. Depends of course on fish and tank size but can get a lethal amount in almost a day.

As for Meth blue seen referenced for a FW Dip (and have used myself) but not continuous.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/methblueart.htm

fishoholic
02-20-2009, 01:55 AM
I hope everything works out and that your fish gets better.

my2rotties
02-20-2009, 04:00 AM
She's still hanging in there... really bored and I am tempted to put her back in the real tank. It's hard to see what her wound looks like with the blue water and lack of lighting. It looks like she might have crashed into a coral fo something. I'll keep her in QT and see how she is in the morning. SHe still has not eatne but I really can't blame her since her entire world changed in a matter of moment, when I took her out of the display.

Hopefully it is just a head wound and nothing more then me worrying about her more then I should.

tang daddy
02-20-2009, 06:35 AM
just a thought but majestic angels are skittish and sometimes scare themselves, mine has ended up with scrapes and cuts all the time because it freaks out and dashes behind rocks in and out, so this pale white part maybe just a surface injury as yours probally done the same.....

my2rotties
02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, here are a couple more shots of her condition. The pics are crappy due to the blue water and iphone, it does take great pictures, but not in this case. I am doing a partial water chnage and will leave her in QT longer. I'm off to my favorite LFS to see what I cna do for her, and if I should bring her back for treatment or not.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/my2rotties/fish003.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo330/my2rotties/fish004.jpg

my2rotties
02-21-2009, 02:55 PM
SHe appeared to be rallying back last night but discovered her dead this morning. This really sucks as she ius one of my favorite fish.

Leah
02-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Awh!
That is to bad, I think when you lose an angel - it is the worst.

my2rotties
02-21-2009, 03:40 PM
This fish was a picture of health and vigor. Now she is gone. Now that I look at her she seems to be eroding away and got skinny over night. She was fat and healthy two days ago... she looked so promising last night.:sad::sad:

She also looks like her head rotted from inside out. I have the picture of the one side of her head but now it seems it worked through to the other. A healthy robust fish fish just fades away to nothing in a day or two astounds me. Can I have her sent somewhere and find out what killed her. I know it sounds silly, fish always die, but this is a mystery. I had her in the prescribed antibiotic that the LFS gave me for treatment. I was going to bring her there for them to heal her. They were very worried about her but I could not make it back to the city last night when they wanted her.

It is hard to lose an angel and I was so proud to have this little fish. I won't be getting another again. I try only once with a species and am very saddened that I lost my favorite one.

Carmen
02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
So sorry Diana. :sad:

fishytime
02-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok please dont take this the wrong way, but you have how many fish in a tank that is only a little over two months old?.....Methinks yous two should take it easy. Quite surprised you havnt crashed the tank.

my2rotties
02-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I think because I have probably over 400 pounds of very well established live rock in my system of 260g, 55g, and 72g tanks with the 55g packed with cheato, and well over 200 pounds of live sand, and my anal habits of checking params when I don't need to has helped.

I have a skimmer that is much bigger then what I need, a UV sterilizer, phosband reactor, filter socks and everything else I need to support a few fish. I have many but not nearly what other have and do not admit to having. I have a tnak full of corals and with the awesome help of my canreef friend, I have it all down to a science now.

The only fish I have lost have been jumpers, and this angel that was healthy two days ago. I am not taking things the wrong way, but I know my water quality and amount of fish have nothing to do with her demise.

It is easy to speculate and say that my having a new tank with lots of livestock is to blame for the death of this poor little fish. If you talk to any people whom have seen my system they would say my fish are happy and thriving. This angel has grown and was super robust and healthy until Thursday.

Tanks do crash even for the best people whom have done everything right, I see it on the forums all the time. This fish did not die from having too many other fish.

Ok please dont take this the wrong way, but you have how many fish in a tank that is only a little over two months old?.....Methinks yous two should take it easy. Quite surprised you havnt crashed the tank.

dsaundry
02-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Too bad about the fish...I love Majestics...trying to get one myself again.
Lost a juvenile about 2 yrs ago and havent found a replacement at a decent price yet...

my2rotties
02-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks, it is really heart breaking to have a healthy happy fish go down in two days. She wasted away over night and I am shocked at the death. The Majestic has to be the prettiest angel there is... nice personalities too.

Too bad about the fish...I love Majestics...trying to get one myself again.
Lost a juvenile about 2 yrs ago and havent found a replacement at a decent price yet...

fishoholic
02-21-2009, 10:58 PM
So sorry to hear! :cry:

Red Coral Aquariums
02-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Diana and Frank;

Sorry to hear of your loss. Majestics are difficult to come across in this hobby. It looks and sounds like it was an internal parasite which could exist in your system or the system where you purchased the Majestic. My suggestion would be a reef safe additive to food for parasites. I was thinking along this line just not this product.
http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=47047170&EID=SP47047170&SID=SPCM
Hopefully this helps you in your research.

Good Luck.
Kevin

naesco
02-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Diana and Frank;

Sorry to hear of your loss. Majestics are difficult to come across in this hobby. It looks and sounds like it was an internal parasite which could exist in your system or the system where you purchased the Majestic. My suggestion would be a reef safe additive to food for parasites. I was thinking along this line just not this product.
http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=47047170&EID=SP47047170&SID=SPCM
Hopefully this helps you in your research.

Good Luck.
Kevin

I am just wondering why you feel it may be an internal parasite when the symptoms are external? Bacterial infections cause external lesions though.
And why are you recommending a pond as opposed to a saltwater remedy?

Red Coral Aquariums
02-22-2009, 04:57 AM
I am just wondering why you feel it may be an internal parasite when the symptoms are external? Bacterial infections cause external lesions though.
And why are you recommending a pond as opposed to a saltwater remedy?

"She also looks like her head rotted from inside out. I have the picture of the one side of her head but now it seems it worked through to the other."
"I was thinking along this line just not this product. Hopefully this helps you in your research."

Naesco; Please reread,
Kevin

my2rotties
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the insight Kevin it is much appreciated. All my other fish are fine, this just happened overnight it seems. This was a healthy fish and she was QT at the store I bought her from for a month, and was super healthy and thriving. Majestics are easy to come by actually and I could buy another one today if I wanted to... I just won't try again for awhile if ever with so many other species to try.

I have my Majestic's body in the freezer and will bring her to the LFS and get her checked out for diagnosis on what may have happened. They gave me meds to treat her but she just did not make it. I was going to bring her back to the store for treatment yesterday but she was already gone before I could do so.

"She also looks like her head rotted from inside out. I have the picture of the one side of her head but now it seems it worked through to the other."
"I was thinking along this line just not this product. Hopefully this helps you in your research."

Naesco; Please reread,
Kevin

hipp77
02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Sorry to here about your majestic.

I just got one a week ago so I will keep a close eye on her.

my2rotties
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Mine was fantastic for two months, and then she went down within a day. They are wonderful fish and she is sadly missed. I'm sad that I won't get t see her grow anymore. :sad:

Sorry to here about your majestic.

I just got one a week ago so I will keep a close eye on her.

Finley
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Diana,

I came across this thread and was curious if your Majestic Angel look similair to mine. I've had her for about 3 weeks and she is a light eater at best. She seems to be fading in colour around her face. I've been debating to QT her and medicate. Let me know what you think.

Thx
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=357&pictureid=3150
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=357&pictureid=3151
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=357&pictureid=3152