PDA

View Full Version : Sargassum Harvesting Technique

Scales
06-02-2003, 11:03 PM
While cycling some new live rock, there sprouted what I believe to be sargassum (I guess it could be Dictyota (sp?)...). When the rock was put in my 90g with 2x250w MH, the sargassum grew at an amazing rate. I am planning to harvest some as it is now extending up to a foot in places and obscuring the view of the few corals that I have in the tank.

Do I need to be concerned about technique (cut v. rip) or toxicity (any known similarity to Caulerpa)?

There is quite a bit to pull out...the absence of any significant algae problems suggests it "may" have been beneficial in accumulating nutrients...Has anyone used this macro in a refugium? Maybe I will try it in the refugium on my 54g...

Thanks for any tips/advice.

Trevor

Jack
06-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey,

It is really tough stuff. You have to take the little knobby root out with the plant if you don't want it to come back on you. I got an uncured box of Sargassum... er I mean Figi rock and I hated the stuff :razz:

It's a pain reaching into your tank and pruning the stuff back all the time. Although, do like the look of a couple long stands here and there I don't think its worth it. I forget all my research but you might want to look at seeing if they sporalate when they grow big, I would look into that.

And to my knowledge they don't have any toxic effects from pruning. Even with caulerpa thought to be toxic when pruned I never see any ill effects. You will be fine.

That stuff grows mad under good lighting!

HTH

Scales
06-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the reply...I "ripped" out a large amount concentrating on pulling the attached area cleanly from the rock...no apparent toxicity issues...I can see my corals again!