PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

novascotiagrl
02-19-2009, 04:37 AM
well the salt water bug hit us lol we ended up combineing a 48 G and a 55 gallon well est. systems into a 75g with a 29 sump ..Its not drilled...Its been set up for about 2 months in the 75 now...we just came across a 90 thats drilled with a 33 sump and protein skimmer that seems like it can do the job now the question is the lighting is we have a 6 bulb teck light (T5) thats 3' modified to fit 4' tank but with the research we think that the lighting is not enough...we are doing softies for the most part bulbs do have to be replaced ...this 90 system has a beautiful canopy which we can modify with an icecap or similar ballast worst half (me) lol is an electrician that can do the work and overdrive NO bulbs...we have been in fresh water for years but new to the saltly world ...just wondering on different opinions thanks for the replys

mark
02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
your t5 might work, I started with softies (xenia and button polyps) in a 75 with 2x96w PC.

If going to go with new lights in existing hood and staying with softies might consider a retro t5 set using 4‘ 54w bulbs

Myka
02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
your t5 might work, I started with softies (xenia and button polyps) in a 75 with 2x96w PC.

If going to go with new lights in existing hood and staying with softies might consider a retro t5 set using 4‘ 54w bulbs

What he said.

lorenz0
02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Since you want to stick with softies, thats TEK will work

If you ever want SPS you will need to haven them higher in the tank and in the middle

novascotiagrl
02-20-2009, 02:11 AM
thanks for the replys we have thought about putting 2 X 250 mh supplemented with an ice caps 660 to keep power consumtion down and the mh would be over kill for the softies and Lps... we have the mogal base mh ballasts all readly but dont plan on keeping any sps other than what we have also the canopy on the 90 would have to be redesigned for the mh but who knows in the future we might want to put in a few more Sps will post a pic of the 90 when we have it here to take pics thanks

LATINO
02-20-2009, 07:24 AM
If you ever need a MH lighting I have a cool touch for sale. Its 2x175W and 2x55W PC's going for 275. I bought it just before they went out of buisness. Bought it for 690 no bulbs. You will be getting 5 PC bulbs with this. Exellent condintion.

Doug
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
well the salt water bug hit us lol we ended up combineing a 48 G and a 55 gallon well est. systems into a 75g with a 29 sump ..Its not drilled...Its been set up for about 2 months in the 75 now...we just came across a 90 thats drilled with a 33 sump and protein skimmer that seems like it can do the job now the question is the lighting is we have a 6 bulb teck light (T5) thats 3' modified to fit 4' tank but with the research we think that the lighting is not enough...we are doing softies for the most part bulbs do have to be replaced ...this 90 system has a beautiful canopy which we can modify with an icecap or similar ballast worst half (me) lol is an electrician that can do the work and overdrive NO bulbs...we have been in fresh water for years but new to the saltly world ...just wondering on different opinions thanks for the replys

Welcome
to
Canreef

:mrgreen:

novascotiagrl
03-07-2009, 01:35 AM
we've decided on using an icecap 660 ballast useing 2 atinic white,2 atinics all 110watts and 12000Kand 2 NO bulbs@ 40watts 6500k with a no ballast took us a week to get everything up to par with how we like it now if we can only get rid of the damn mirco bubbles from the skimmer see the other post we made on that topic thanks