PDA

View Full Version : Ballast under the stand?

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I just realized that I have never kept a ballast under the stand before. I have it in a spot that it really can't get wet but of course there will be a lot of condensation/humidity under the stand. The stand is quite solid with just a few spots for air to escape.

How does this effect a ballast?

If it makes any difference its a PFO dual 400 watt. The ones in the big silver box.

Tom R
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Other than the obvious problems caused by having electrical apparatus's too close to water. I think that the heat levels given off from a 400W ballast would put an unnecessary amount of heat in the tank.

Tom R

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Other than the obvious problems caused by having electrical apparatus's too close to water. I think that the heat levels given off from a 400W ballast would put an unnecessary amount of heat in the tank.

Tom R

Yes, never thought of that. Maybe I wouldn't have to go out and buy a heater then :D . Even in the summer, my place stays really cool (all concrete), so I am not worried about heat. I do worry about having the ballast so close to the sump though.

Hmmm...I really have nowhere else to put it though.

rstar
02-19-2009, 03:35 AM
I have both my 250 watt pfos in my stand one is probably 6 inches from my sump, it been like that for about 2 years, i have had no problems. The PFO ballast are built well IMO, and i can easily put my hand on the ballast any time they are running and leave it there.