PDA

View Full Version : 3 day blackout leave fuge light running?

e46er
02-18-2009, 12:38 AM
so my fish are all in a hospital tank and my DT tank has crazy algae so im looking at this as a perfect time to do a 72 hr blackout and a massive WC after day 3 but i am thinking i should leave my fuge light on to continue to uptake nutrients and so the chaeto algae doesnt die.............. good idea or a brain fart?

banditpowdercoat
02-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Yup, Ive done that. Left Sump on the normal light cycle, whereas tank was Lights out. I do it every few months, with fish in the tank. Just remember to light acclimate after. Even corals will be shocked if just resume full light schedual

e46er
02-18-2009, 12:51 AM
new tank just snails and a 2 brittle stars still need to light acculamate??

thanks for reply

banditpowdercoat
02-18-2009, 12:54 AM
New tank, How new??? If its fairly new it may just be the normal cycle and taking fish out/doing lights out may screw with the cycle.

But No, Snails and stars shouldnt need any light acclimation

e46er
02-18-2009, 01:18 AM
well finished cycling back in first week of december i just meant no corals or anything yet added the live rock in mid october i guess

banditpowdercoat
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Ya, a lights out would be fine. I started doing mine about then. What I'm thinking though is thats still part of the cycle. Mines been about a year now since I added LR. Most algae is gone, but still have occasional cyano problem.

Think I need new lamps now though is my problem

e46er
02-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Yea I could probably go for new bulbs as well

mark
02-18-2009, 03:37 AM
might want to sort cause of algae as imagine you'll be wanting to turn your lights back on in the display

e46er
02-18-2009, 03:51 AM
im thinking phosphates as they were detectable at one point when my dad was in charge for a week (overfedding) then i started the phosphate reactor but algae growth went nuts then and thats probably why they are undetecable now the algae is uptaking it from the water colummn but no fish for 2 months in the DT tank plenty of time for me to get things under control