PDA

View Full Version : Hello CANREEF!

jepree
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
First timer on saltwater keeping but have had experience with freshwater (piranhas) and brackish (green spotted puffers). Keeping a 45 gallon tank for just over 6 months now with everything flourishing immensely. No aptasia at all thanks to my peppermints but sadly no coralline thanks to my hermits and urchin!

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with "blue palm tunicates/corals?" I purchased one about 2 months back and at first it was doing great shed its heads for more robust ones and its stalk became thicker. After about a month it seemed to slim down and this was primarily because of a nudibranch i found on the stalk which i removed fearing it was eating away at the coral. About a week and a half ago the coral seems to be "melting/fading" away slowly!!! Is there any hope or actions i can take to try and revitalize this coral? I also have a few non-photo corals a sun coral, orange carnation and a blubbery gorgonian in the tank and they are all thriving so i assume nutrition for the blue palm is sufficient (coral frenzy and reef roids). Other than that I'm stumped!!!

christyf5
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome to Canreef!! :mrgreen:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the tunicates.

MikeP
02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Welcome to Canreef!! :mrgreen:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the tunicates.

That's exactly what I was going to say :lol:

Doug
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
:welcome:

Chowder
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow that was quit mellow there Doug.

Anyways welcome to Canreef jepree.

Chris

Skimmerking
02-17-2009, 11:54 PM
hey buds welcome to canreef,

where the sky is the limit and so is our wallet's and purses.

Jason McK
02-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Welcome to Canreef

I've hard the same blue palm tunicates several years ago. They are very difficult to keep and may not be suited for an Aquarium. Mine did the same thing yours is doing until it was gone. you may want to try Phytoplankton and zooplankton suppliments to keep it going

J

Doug
02-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Wow that was quit mellow there Doug.

Anyways welcome to Canreef jepree.

Chris

Heh,heh. Had to try the sign out. :smile:

BlueAbyss
02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Welcome to Canreef

I've hard the same blue palm tunicates several years ago. They are very difficult to keep and may not be suited for an Aquarium. Mine did the same thing yours is doing until it was gone. you may want to try Phytoplankton and zooplankton suppliments to keep it going

J

+1 on the feeding with phyto and zooplankton...

I've been reading a lot about the nutrition of nonphotosynthetic and photosynthetic invertebrates and would say that this will probably help. Though they may be too far gone at this point, and (depending on your system) feeding heavily could cause an algae outbreak without good nutrient export. Spot feed them too, with a pipette or something, so you know the phyto/zoo culture is getting directly to them.

And welcome to Canreef. Never a dull moment around here. :wink: :bananalama:

jepree
02-20-2009, 03:26 AM
THANKS to everyone for the warm welcome and thanks for the advice.

reeferious
02-20-2009, 04:24 AM
my 2nd try at keeping this one, first time i more or less let it feed on whatever's in water column and it lasted about a month. 2nd time around i target feed the clump using oyster eggs. as of now it's not dying or shrinking but it's not multiplying either.