PDA

View Full Version : Relatively Reef Safe Large Angel?

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I am just looking for an angel for the 200...any ideas? Mostly SPS with a few softies. Only LPS as of now is a large plate coral but I want to add stuff like Hammers and Frogspawn maybe. I do have clams too but I don't really care about them to be honest ;)

What colorful species would you recommend?

fkshiu
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
The only 100% reef safe angels are those of the genus Genicanthus (Lamark's, Bellus, Watanabei, etc). All beautiful fish, but not what most would call the most colourful.

Everything else will be a crapshoot.

rstar
02-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Here is a photo of my Lamarck's, not the most colorful angel, but he sure has a personality which makes up for it. He thinks he is a tang and will folloe my PB tang around and eat with him until the tang gets annoyed and tries to swipe him. The angel tries to swipe the tang right back, then its right back to following him around.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/rstar26/0f613441.jpg

fishoholic
02-17-2009, 09:43 PM
My queen, blue ring, emperor and blue face all lived in my reef tank with softies (although they all ate zoos) and LPS. However when I tried an SPS coral they all attacked it and tried to eat it :mad2:

Chowder
02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
I believe a swallow tail angel is as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+18+341&pcatid=341

naesco
02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
I am just looking for an angel for the 200...any ideas? Mostly SPS with a few softies. Only LPS as of now is a large plate coral but I want to add stuff like Hammers and Frogspawn maybe. I do have clams too but I don't really care about them to be honest ;)

What colorful species would you recommend?

I agree with the earlier comments.
Do not under any circumstances purchase an adult angel as frequently they refuse to eat. The only larger angel is a juvenile red sea regal angel however it is impossible to get a hold of one. Most are PI or Indo imports unfortunately.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I agree with the earlier comments.
Do not under any circumstances purchase an adult angel as frequently they refuse to eat. The only larger angel is a juvenile red sea regal angel however it is impossible to get a hold of one. Most are PI or Indo imports unfortunately.

Oh yes, I already know about how hard it can be to get angels to eat especially as adults. Most eat only sponges, certain algae...

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Here is a photo of my Lamarck's, not the most colorful angel, but he sure has a personality which makes up for it. He thinks he is a tang and will folloe my PB tang around and eat with him until the tang gets annoyed and tries to swipe him. The angel tries to swipe the tang right back, then its right back to following him around.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/rstar26/0f613441.jpg

Yeah I really like these guys. This may end up being the one I try. Any issues with him eating?

Chowder
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I had a lamarcks angel as well. It had no problems eating whatever I fed the tank. It did though try to fly once. I did not find it . My wife found it 1 1/2months later dried to her scarf. She put it on and it was starring back at her.

Chris

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I had a lamarcks angel as well. It had no problems eating whatever I fed the tank. It did though try to fly once. I did not find it . My wife found it 1 1/2months later dried to her scarf. She put it on and it was starring back at her.

Chris

Hahahaha! Sorry about your lose but man that made me laugh...the way you described that. I got such a vivid picture in my head of this dried up fish on the scarf around her neck.

Was she mad?

Chowder
02-17-2009, 10:23 PM
No she was a little sad . But it did solve the mystery to where it went.

Chris

Lance
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a Lamarck's Angel; they are not the flashiest angel by any means but are certainly pretty. Mine has a nice silvery blue colour. It is totally reef safe. It ate immediately, and spends most of its time at or near the front of the tank, swimming around and looking for food in the water coloumn. They are planktivores unlike most other angels. Genicanthus are definitely the ones you want if you want a reef safe angel.

rstar
02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I had no problems at all getting mine to eat, he eats anything i put in there for him. And ive also never seen mine jump or even attempt to. All in all a very nice fish.

tgoeujon
02-18-2009, 12:44 AM
i have a swallowtail in my 110 with no problems and ive got a mix of everything in there but clams

fishoholic
02-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Chris

:jaw: That would seriously suck!

Skimmerking
02-18-2009, 02:57 AM
i have had 2 lameracks one in the 120 until it decided to carpet surf , it took a liking to sps and my clams.
the one i have now is starting to take a nip here and there at the clams. so i must have bad luck.

rstar
02-18-2009, 03:20 AM
i have had 2 lameracks one in the 120 until it decided to carpet surf , it took a liking to sps and my clams.
the one i have now is starting to take a nip here and there at the clams. so i must have bad luck.

From what i understand about them that is indeed bad luck, i have both clams and sps and mine doesnt go near them at all!

BlueAbyss
02-18-2009, 06:50 AM
When I get a 100+ gallon tank I'd like to get a Swallowtail. Though their colors are muted they are still beautiful fish.

tgoeujon
02-18-2009, 07:36 AM
once the swallow tails settle in the colors they do have kinda glow, i love mine