PDA

View Full Version : disease in my tank

Nihoa
02-17-2009, 05:41 PM
i was sure i had/have ick and maybe i did/do but i suspect something else is going on as well. one morning we woke up and our lemonpeel angle was covered in what looked to be ick spots and blotches of whitey film. the next day our green clown goby also had 3 - 4 little dots on him and the angel continued to collect dots and blotches. we began treating the tank with aquarium munster protomarin reef safe treatment but by day 5 our angel died. our green clown died the following day and a few spots showed up on the face of our yellow watchman. up until then i thought i was dealing with ick but thats when things got weird. the following day one of our ocellaris clowns was covered in film and could hardly swim he was so thick in it. we freshwater dipped him and it sloughed off a bit but he died that night. the watchman meanwhile was not developing any further dots or film and i could not see any signs of illness in either our remaining ocellaris or our twinspot (candy) hogfish. the next morning however our last ocellaris was all filmed up and died within a few minutes of turning the lights on.

that was all 4 - 5 days ago and the spots on the watchman have cleared up and we havent seen any problems on our twinspot hog. i do however notice a weird fish sized slime floating around the tank every few days and im wondering if the hog is getting a very thin film on him that he is able to shake off? or perhaps the watchman. i cant think of what else this slime im finding might be.

i havent read of any external parasite that is able to take a symptom free (to my eyes) fish and weigh it down and kill it with slime in under 10 hours!?! does anyone have a feel for what is going on in my tank? does it sound like the disease killed off the weaker fish and might be on my remaining two but they are fighting it off?

Powertec
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Sounds to me like you have Brooknella.
It will do exactly what you are saying and wipe a fish out in a matter of hours.

I would google it and see if it looks like what you have going on.

Nihoa
02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah, brooklynella is certainly what it looked like on the clowns. the angel looked like she had both brooklynella and ick and i didnt see anything but dots on the green clown goby. i suppose its possible that the angel brought both ick and brooklynella into the tank?

so with this apparent slime shed im finding in the tank every few days does this sound like it may still be affecting my fish but they are fighting it? i cant see any slim on them but that may not mean much.