PDA

View Full Version : LTA eat a SEA Hare?

banditpowdercoat
02-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Can/Will a Long Tentacle Anemone eat a Sea Hare? I had a Sea hare in my tank, but have not seen him for about a week and a half. I did find a mess beside anemone that looked like entrails? But what I found was about 1/16th the mass of the Hare. Is it possible? Was the Hare lunch? No other inhabitants have perished, but my case of Red slime is back now too. Although not as bad

untamed
02-17-2009, 05:33 AM
My experience with sea hares is that they are amazing at staying hidden, considering their size. Mine were noctural, check at night to see if he's out and about.

However, when mine eventually died...it just vanished for good.

banditpowdercoat
02-17-2009, 05:42 AM
My experience with sea hares is that they are amazing at staying hidden, considering their size. Mine were noctural, check at night to see if he's out and about.

However, when mine eventually died...it just vanished for good.

Ya, I've looked night/day. have moonlights and a little flashlight which I sometimes use and stare till the wee hrs of the morning. And I wonder why I'm tired and cranky LOL

naesco
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Did the sea hare get rid of all your algae?

banditpowdercoat
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Ya, I came back from camp and tank was spotless. Now the red algae slowly coming back :(

naesco
02-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Than it is likely that your sea hare starved to death rather than being killed by the LTA.

Sea hares are pretty efficient in mowing down algae real quick.
When there is only 10% left you need to start feeding them piles of nori and spirulina pellets or better yet return it to the LFS and ask them to loan the sea hare to someone who also has an algae problem. The new owner has to promise to return it in a couple of weeks.

banditpowdercoat
02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
I WAS feeding Nori. 3 strips a day between him and my Tang.

naesco
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Seems like a lot but not very much when you consider how they mow down the algae and are going 24/7.

Best bet is to return them to the lfs rather than trying to feed them as it doen't make sense adding algae to the tank, eh

banditpowdercoat
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, Either way, I ain't gotta worry no more

Scythanith
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes, it could eat one. I had a beaded anemone take down some of my large lettuce nidubranchs. It would most likely spit most of it out though.