PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter or filamented wrasse?

traco
02-17-2009, 02:57 AM
So hubby is working by a fish store tomorrow so I am sending him on a mission to pick up either of the above wrasses. Anyone had either and your experience? Which is more colorful and can go into a 55 gallon?

Thanks.

Pan
02-17-2009, 03:41 AM
So hubby is working by a fish store tomorrow so I am sending him on a mission to pick up either of the above wrasses. Anyone had either and your experience? Which is more colorful and can go into a 55 gallon?

Thanks.

http://www.pbase.com/clippo/image/87923695
http://flickr.com/photos/83434203@N00/274278409

which one do you like better? both will be okay in the 55

MikeP
02-17-2009, 04:17 AM
I would go with a Carpenter. I had one a while ago and he was great. Be sure you have a tight lid though, the one I had somehow made it out of my tank :(

Pan
02-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Yes, both are known jumpers. Make sure to acclimate well...wrasses are...finicky.

Boomboy
02-17-2009, 05:42 AM
i know wrasse are known as jumpers but i had a six line and i have a carpenter right now with an open top and they havent jumped ever in 8 months and 3 months i had them. the six line died when i move the tank but the carpenter hasnt ever. maybe i just get lucky. i have a completely open top also.

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 07:07 AM
I vote Carpenter.

Boomboy, you must be lucky and the open top is something I'm trying to figure out for my 50 gallon rimless.

Pan
02-17-2009, 07:57 AM
I vote Carpenter.

Boomboy, you must be lucky and the open top is something I'm trying to figure out for my 50 gallon rimless.

If I had to I vote filamented I like the pinks and purples that can show up on them, but eaither are nice wrasses...and until you get into the pricy rare ones or the hard to keep alive (leopards)..some of the nicer flashers/fairy wrasses. I want a mystery wrasse, that's off topic and an expensive meal for my frogfish.

R...
if you want to cover the tank, get that plastic wall corner material (you know protects corners of walls...i dunno what is called...edging?) or even the aluminum (what is used) make a square/rectangle whatever fits your tank so it sits on top off it, paint it with say krylon fusion...(think thats what i used, or whatever reef safe paint you can find) fit and stick down gutter guard in between (i used hot glue and some gorilla glue) viola you have a top that if done carefully looks not to bad, plus lets light in and the gutter guard doesn't seem to warp. nothing jumps through it like through eggcrate.