PDA

View Full Version : Scopas Tang in QT

rocketlily
02-17-2009, 02:41 AM
I picked up a tiny Scopas Tang on Friday and have him in a 10 gal QT tank. I can see that he's not too happy in there, with so little room to swim. He's still in the hiding stage (will only come out and swim when he thinks no one is watching) and afraid of the Nori I put on a clip. Actually changed his swimming pattern so that he wouldn't have to go near it. Very afraid of the syringe when I feed him, but will come out to eat when he thinks Im not watching.

How long should I keep him QT? How long before he starts showing any signs of Ich or any other disease that a Tang might have?

cav~firez22
02-17-2009, 02:45 AM
I wouldnt quarentene him at all. especially in such a small tank... its just mean.

if hes not showing any signs of stress now, then put him in the main tank before you kill it from stress.

scopas are fairly hardy tangs, so you shouldnt have an issue with it, especially if hes eating now.

Thats my 2 cents!

rocketlily
02-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Do you quarantine any of your fish?

I wouldnt quarentene him at all. especially in such a small tank... its just mean.

if hes not showing any signs of stress now, then put him in the main tank before you kill it from stress.

scopas are fairly hardy tangs, so you shouldnt have an issue with it, especially if hes eating now.

Thats my 2 cents!

Rbacchiega
02-17-2009, 02:52 AM
I don't personally quarantine anything. But will sit and wait on a fish in the LFS normally for a week or so. But I agree. Scopas are generally quite hardy so you shouldn't have to worry about it assuming your tank is well established.

cav~firez22
02-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Nope, and still have the same fish i have had for over 2 years. :)

everyone is going to have a differant opinion on quarenteneing fish, and mine is.

Why stress them out more??

you wouldnt have bought the fish if it had ich, or disease on it right?

i have another 120G that is always up and running as a hospital tank, and in good conditions, that i use if a fish gets hurt in my tank.....

naesco
02-17-2009, 03:46 AM
I picked up a tiny Scopas Tang on Friday and have him in a 10 gal QT tank. I can see that he's not too happy in there, with so little room to swim. He's still in the hiding stage (will only come out and swim when he thinks no one is watching) and afraid of the Nori I put on a clip. Actually changed his swimming pattern so that he wouldn't have to go near it. Very afraid of the syringe when I feed him, but will come out to eat when he thinks Im not watching.

How long should I keep him QT? How long before he starts showing any signs of Ich or any other disease that a Tang might have?

I take it he has lots of places to hide. Kinda avoid the tank unless necessary.
Observe the fish at a distance until he gets used to you. Feed garlic extreme and selcon soaked nori. When the fish gets used to you, observe the fish carefully for any spots, fluff or redness and ensure the eyes are clear. Look sideways to see if there are any flukes. After a week if all catch he with a glass jar, not a net and transfer her when the main lights are off.
Continue the garlic feeding. Good luck
Good luck

Buccaneer
02-17-2009, 06:07 AM
Here is a rock solid QT process

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/19255-fish-quarantine-process.html

rocketlily
02-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Here is a rock solid QT process

http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/19255-fish-quarantine-process.html

Excellent article. Thank you for some very practical and sound advice.

Buccaneer
02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
You are welcome