PDA

View Full Version : sump design

spikehs
06-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Picked up a standard 33gal tank this weekend and was gonna silicone in the baffles but before i did, i though i should check here first!
the baffels are 10inches high and would be configure like this:

http://missolutions.ca/~sean/other/sump.JPG

-The baffles were from an old sump that i never hooked up, would 10inches be high enough?

-Is there an "optimal" space between the baffles that allows for the most buble reduction (really close, far...) and how much space shoud be between the baffle and the bottom of the tank (for the 1st and 4th oen?)thanks[/img]

StirCrazy
06-02-2003, 04:48 AM
to me they look backwards.. your water hight will only be as high as the center two baffels. now this might be your intension but to me it looks backwards.

Steve

Acro
06-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Thats pretty much how my 70gal sump is now. I run over 2500 ghp though it and do get some bubbles returning to the main. So if you not using the sump for a refugium with a sand bed I'd personally add a couple more baffles. If your not running that much flow threw it then you should be ok. That design does not mean you have to run your sump at the level of the two center baffels. What I'd do is make a slotted over flow for the side that water is overflowing into. The best way to do this is making it ajustable this was you can play with your sump hight and always surface skim which will address any surface scum.

Jack
06-02-2003, 05:25 AM
The middle ones could be higher if you want more water volume there. Closer together the baffles are the higher velocity of the water through them (bringing bubbles with it) so try and go a bit wide. Oh, also how much gap the outside ones have with the bottom play a role in water velocity and bubble reduction aswell.