PDA

View Full Version : Any words of warning about re-siliconing?

Coldwater
02-16-2009, 02:19 AM
One side of my 112 is out a little and the more I think about it the less I want to trust it so I am going to re-silicone the whole thing before any water goes into it. Are there any no-nos or other things to avoid? Should it be left to a glass shop? Thanks in advance.

Matt

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 02:42 AM
hey man the silicone is easy to re do just when you take the glass off use the razors and exacto blades to take all the silicone off the glass and the light film too. and then after that use rubbing alcohol to take the crab off it . very important.. other then that its easy as pie. good luck

traco
02-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Now are we talking about taking the whole tank apart or just cutting away the silicone lines inside the tank?

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 02:59 AM
well if the seal gave away then yes do what i have stated. If the silicone is jsut being cut away then just take the inner side off and clean it with rubbing alcohol and then re do it with a good bead of silicone .

e46er
02-16-2009, 03:21 AM
use tapeto get a nice straight edge and a silicone with no mildew protectant
Rona brand silicone is aquarium safe and only 4 bucks a tube

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 03:31 AM
use tapeto get a nice straight edge and a silicone with no mildew protectant
Rona brand silicone is aquarium safe and only 4 bucks a tube
yes good point there that i failed to say. tape the edges about 1/4" tp give that straight tape line

kodak
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes rona brand is cheap but if you cant find it then GE 1 or 2 door and window, 100% rubber silicone w/ no milldew or ant fungal additives.. I've repaired about 100 tanks with great success.. both for either complete rebuilds or re sealing..

Coldwater
02-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going to take the whole tank apart and then start from there. Here is the original post. I still dont trust the thing. The shot is from the back to the front.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39190

Matt

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Acetone works really great to clean the glass after removing the old silicone. I can't remember the order now but I think you should use the rubbing alcohol after the acetone...or the other way around...:Banane45:

BlueAbyss
02-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Will acetone remove the residue left after stripping silicone?