PDA

View Full Version : Light is too yollow?

pangking
02-16-2009, 12:47 AM
I have a Current-USA 2X250W MH / T5 X4 lighting fixture. Its 2 months old.

After MH is turned on, everything looks very white and yellow. The colore of corals are changed to brown. The corals looks much better under the T5 only.
I went to LFS, they said I can change the MH bulbs. Which bulbs is good that can bring the corals color back?

Thanks

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 01:11 AM
well usually when you buy a light you are able to pick the specturm that you want. unless the place is a LFS and they dont really care about the stuff they sell and only are wanting your money.... your corals should brown out kjust from the lights, unless you are running a 6500K iwasaki bulb where its yellow jsut like the sun color. how long have you own this light and what lighting did you have before.

if you ask me a 14 k is a nice spectrum.
phoenix, reef flux, are a great par in the 12-14 K range unless you are liking the radiums of 20 K

pangking
02-16-2009, 02:03 AM
well usually when you buy a light you are able to pick the specturm that you want. unless the place is a LFS and they dont really care about the stuff they sell and only are wanting your money.... your corals should brown out kjust from the lights, unless you are running a 6500K iwasaki bulb where its yellow jsut like the sun color. how long have you own this light and what lighting did you have before.

if you ask me a 14 k is a nice spectrum.
phoenix, reef flux, are a great par in the 12-14 K range unless you are liking the radiums of 20 K

Just like you said, they didn't tell me anything about the bulbs. I think 14K is what I'm going to change.

Rbacchiega
02-16-2009, 02:52 AM
14k in my opinion, is a great balance of white and blue. When you get into 20k it's too blue

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 02:57 AM
14k in my opinion, is a great balance of white and blue. When you get into 20k it's too blue

actually when you have a radium bulb powered on a HQI ballast you get a nice blue hue with white

Rbacchiega
02-16-2009, 03:02 AM
you mean 20K radium???? reaaaaaally....

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Just like you said, they didn't tell me anything about the bulbs. I think 14K is what I'm going to change.

the reef flux 12 k is a excellent bulb too take a look at the color of mine in the tanks journal.

asmodeus's 150 inwall

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 03:13 AM
dont get me wrong you will get a white look, but with a alot a blue thou its actually really nice too. its like the opposite of the reef flux

fkshiu
02-16-2009, 03:34 AM
Bulb names are just that - names. They only give you a general idea of where the bulb will actually lie on the colour spectrum. Bulb colour will vary depending on ballast as well and will change over the first month as it burns in. The only reliable way of checking out a bulbs exact colour is to see it for yourself in person.

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 03:45 AM
yes the only way to like what bulbs you like is to buy them and go that route. unless you are seeing a tank with a type of lighting that you like.... then its really easy to pick the bulb/