PDA

View Full Version : Question about UV sterilizers

danny zubot
02-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Does anyone know off hand if the lamps used in UV sterilizers contain predominantly UV-A, UV-B, or both types of radiation? I'm also wondering if these UV air purifyers use the same lamps as aquarium models?

Thanks,

Danny

aquatechy
02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Danny,

Actually, uv bulbs only emit UV-B and UV-C. These are the two that are harmful to life (or "germicidal"). UV-A is a necessary part of the light spectrum used by certain photosynthetic organisms. as regards to UV Air things, im not very sure.

Cheers!

aquatechy
02-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh btw, they both come out equally, and u still shouldnt look at UV-A, or any of them, ever! hehe...

danny zubot
02-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Believe it or not, that is really good news. I've been doing research on a type of skin condition for a friend that can only be treated with UV-B rays, and I figured someone on Canreef would be able to answer my question. Can I ask you what your source for that information is?

Thanks,

Danny

midgetwaiter
02-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Believe it or not, that is really good news. I've been doing research on a type of skin condition for a friend that can only be treated with UV-B rays, and I figured someone on Canreef would be able to answer my question. Can I ask you what your source for that information is?

Thanks,

Danny

No NOT GOOD! If you use a germicidal lamp for this you will end up with horrible skin damage from the UVC. Your friend will look like a burnt marshmellow. You need a lamp that provides UVB and UVA only.

What's your friend's condition, psoriasis? Narrow band UVB treatments from a dermatologist would be most effective but lots of people get good results from tanning salons. I used to work in the industry so if you have any questions fire away.

aquatechy
02-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Danny,

I totally agree with midgetwaiter: DO NOT use germicidal UV lamps on your friend! Dont even operate out of a UV sterilizer case!!!!!
my source is my chemistry textbook on the subject of Quantum Mechanics. Canreef is not a substitute for a doctor.

Wishing you well,
Aquatechy