PDA

View Full Version : Vertex 100 protein skimmer

Sam1969
02-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I just bought the vertex 100 skimmer, brought it home put it together and stuck it in my sump. As per the instructions I left it open for the first 24 hours. Which probably would have been fine, If the damn pump would have run for more than 20 min at a time. It runs for about 20 min then it stopped. I unplugged it for 20 min as it was warm to the touch, then plugged it back in. It started to hum but not pump any water, so I gently tapped the side and top of the motor and it started to pump again .. but about 20 to 30 min later it stopped again ...

Its going back to the LFS today ..

Heres to hoping they will replace the pump or exchange the unit ..

Myka
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Lovely. I have one sitting in its box at home. Hopefully mine will work ok as I bet the store credit will be run out by the time I get to install it.

johncody
02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Guys this was a common problem with the Ceramic shaft in the Impellor system. Its due to some " Fine Grindings" and is a simple fix with a new ceramic shaft(most LFS will cover replacements). I have a in250 Vertex and it works great after replacement.

Myka
02-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Guys this was a common problem with the Ceramic shaft in the Impellor system. Its due to some " Fine Grindings" and is a simple fix with a new ceramic shaft(most LFS will cover replacements). I have a in250 Vertex and it works great after replacement.

Oh this is good to know!! Thanks for sharing! :)

StirCrazy
02-15-2009, 06:20 PM

so should we be taking them apart and cleaning them befor we flash them up?

Steve

Boomboy
02-15-2009, 11:16 PM
i have an 100 also, but it doesnt seem to want to start up at all. it started up before in the past but i didnt have my tank running then. i take the front plate off of the pump and the impellor kinda starts to move but not really, but once i put that front plate on again it doesnt do anything. is this the impellor or the entire motor for this thing.

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 01:21 AM
see that is the difference in those skimmers.
you have quality Deltec Mce 300,500,600
Euroreef 80 100

then you have Quantity like Vertex's with they fancy bubble plates, mesh pumps that are made from some crappy pump company. on reef central so many people are mad about the pumps the shafts breaking off and the pumps not working and that is the main reason for the skimmer...

Sam1969
02-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Took my pump to the LFS where I got it, They explained the problem with the fine ceramic shavings to me and gladly replaced the shaft with a shaft from a new pump and cleaned my pump out and the new shaft. I have the skimmer back home and hooked up, BUT , it runs for a bit then shuts down for a bit then starts back up again. Think I will take it back again.

Boomboy
02-16-2009, 04:41 AM
i dont really have that option because i ordered it from J&l about 3 months ago. could i use another pump from another skimmer?

Pan
02-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Most pumps for skimmers are taliored to work with that skimmer, but you could try it :)

StirCrazy
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
see that is the difference in those skimmers.
you have quality Deltec Mce 300,500,600
Euroreef 80 100

then you have Quantity like Vertex's with they fancy bubble plates, mesh pumps that are made from some crappy pump company. on reef central so many people are mad about the pumps the shafts breaking off and the pumps not working and that is the main reason for the skimmer...

actualy no, this is a oddity that is the first I have read about. as most have had no problem.

Steve

Myka
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
i dont really have that option because i ordered it from J&l about 3 months ago. could i use another pump from another skimmer?

Have you inquired to J&L about the issue? They can't help you if you don't ask! ;)

Sam1969
02-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Try J&L and see if they will give you store credit or refund, I will be taking mine back to the LFS today if they open else tomorrow. It has crapped out once again..

My advice ... if somone trys to sell you one of these vertex skimmers ..

RUN FAST RUN FAR

Phanman
02-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I had this problem when i first got my 180. Was easy enough to clean out the magnet/impellar and reassemble. Pump hasnt stopped on my ever since. Still a great skimmer for the price imo.

Sam1969
02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I dont know how many times one is expected to clean the impeller shaft in one day but ... mine has completely siezed for the second time in 24 hours. IMO the pump that comes with this skimmer is GARBAGE and I will be returning to the LFS for the third time in 24 hours for this skimmer and frankly am getting quite perturbed.

:frusty:

Phanman
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Do you see any scoring on the magnet itself? Also when u remove the magnet stick your finger in there and see if there is a film on the inside you can remove. I only had to clean it once to get my pump running smoothly. its been 2 weeks without any issues.

Replacing the whole pump for the 3rd time isnt going to do much imo if all the pumps at the store are from the same shipment.

fkshiu
02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Looks like the same or similar issue to the magnets seizing on the ER/ASM Sedra pumps (which happens over the course of a few years most often) except on an accelerated basis.

Phanman
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM
from what was said on RC is seems that the manufacturing plant didnt clean the magnets properly after it was made so the little particles of magnet were left on the magnet body so when magnet turns it created scoring on magnet body which caused it to seize up.

albert_dao
02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Problem is with the impeller, not the pump. New impellers with fixes are arriving in a week or so.

Veng68
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Do all vertex skimmer have this problem? A friend of mine (IN180) & I (IN250) bought skimmers at Christmas time but we won't be setting it up for a couple months so we won't know if we have this problem.

I will check the impeller for sure before I use the unit.

Cheers,
Vic

albert_dao
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
No, just the models 80/100 and only on a certain batch number.

Sam1969
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Ok took the Vertex back and traded it for the ASM G1X, so far so good ..

StirCrazy
02-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Albert, do you know the batch number and where to check to see if the ones we got will be affected?

Steve

Skimmerking
02-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok took the Vertex back and traded it for the ASM G1X, so far so good ..
good Choice nothing wrong with the ASM. good pump too

johncody
02-17-2009, 12:38 AM

Not just thoose one... I have a in250 and shaft went on mine but J&L replaced it no questions ask'd and it work's super now.
JC

albert_dao
02-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Albert, do you know the batch number and where to check to see if the ones we got will be affected?

Steve

There's no batch number to speak of, but all impellers have a warranty and will be replaced no questions asked should they fail.

Again, the problem isn't with the pump but with the ceramic materials used in the impeller.

Boomboy
02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
you are right because i played around with the impellor and it started to work again, but who knows how long, im going to try and get a replacement one because i have a feeling its going to go out on me if it did it after the second time i turned it on.