PDA

View Full Version : cowfish

psuedo
06-01-2003, 04:34 AM
I know that they eat small polyps, but my wife really really likes them. So I decided to get one, and stick it in my reef tank. So far he has eaten brine shrimp, so I hope he gets accustomed to only eating that and not my corals. Does anybody else out there have experience with a longhorn cowfish in a reef tank? It is a really nice looking fish though. He has a lot of character and always wants to know what is going on outside the tank, as he follows you wherever you go.
Please don't tell me that I was stupid putting him in there.

ps. there is no fish in there to **** him off, so he won't get stressed and die and kill off my whole tank

Beverly
06-01-2003, 04:54 AM
So far he has eaten brine shrimp, so I hope he gets accustomed to only eating that and not my corals.

Have no experience with cowfish, but do know that brine shrimp are a poor diet for any fish. As someone on another board said, feeding them brine shrimp is like feeding the medicine capsule without the medicine. Try feeding mysis shrimp instead - much more nutritional than brine. PE mysis are even better. PE mysis can be bought from J&L.

ron101
06-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Ditto on the no-nutrition brine. They are great for the odd fibre dose but not for a staple diet.

psuedo
06-01-2003, 06:57 AM
i use mysis all the time. I just ran out of food today, and just ran down to Big Als, and they didn't have mysis, so i just grabbed the brine. I knew that mega marine was better, but nobody in my tank touches the blood worms, and I hate having to scoop them out all the time.

Chad
06-01-2003, 08:03 PM
but nobody in my tank touches the blood worms, and I hate having to scoop them out all the time.

Blood worms are eaten like candy in my tank. The instant they hit the water they are gone.

Chad