PDA

View Full Version : Fish feeding questions

rocketlily
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
At the moment I have 2 very small fish. One Pyjama Cardinal in the main tank and one Scopas Tang in QT. Both fish are very small and do not eat alot at one time. I would like to feed them twice (maybe 3 times) a day.

I would like to feed them a mixture of chopped Mysis, a little bit of Brine, a drop or 2 of garlic and a drop or 2 of Selcon. I will be also be putting in a little bit of Nori on a clip for the Tang. With time restrictions, like having to go to work in the morning, there isn't enough time to make up a mixture. Plus with both fish being so small most of the mixture goes down the drain.

The questions I have are:

1) If I make up a small batch in saltwater, how long can I keep it in the fridge and safely feed it to them?
2) What else can I add to the mixture to make it healthier for them?

Diana
02-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I would only keep it in the fridge for maybe 2 days, in a small sealed container. Alternatively you could pick up a mini ice cube tray (ive seen them at dollar stores) and make up a big batch of the "recipe" and then freeze it. Or you could put it into a ziplock bag, lay it on its side so it spreads out a thin layer, and then freeze it. Then you could just break off a small piece every time u want to feed.

Maybe add some frozen Cyclopeeze to the mix, and some oyster eggs or something very small.

Be careful feeding 3 times a day, in smaller tanks with only 1 fish it can create ammonia problems. I would say 2 times would be just fine. :)

Cheers
-Diana

rocketlily
02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I had thought about mixing it up and freezing it, but the Mysis and Brine I am using are already frozen. Would it create problems if I use the frozen products and they thaw while I prepare the mixture, then I refreeze them.

I'm think along the lines here of it not being safe to do with uncooked meats for human consumption.

tang daddy
02-14-2009, 04:22 PM
I buy large packs of mysis about 1/2 inch thick and then break them into 1/4 then defrost them and do as diana suggested which is spread them into thin sheets in ziploc so it's easier to feed and never had any problems. I even once went out and bought frozen food through it in the back of my car seat, this was in the summer and then next day while going out for dinner with my gf, I was like what's that smell .....oops!!
but still I fed them to my fish with no problems.....