PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI unit from Captive Purity question

newreefer_59
02-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I have an RO/DI unit from Captive Purity and wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to shut off the water supply to it when it is not needed. ie: when my reserve tank is full. I ask this because of the amount of waste water that draines even tho there is no water flowing into the reserve...is that normal? And would shutting off the water supply but leaving water in the unit have any adverse affect on any of the filters and membrane? And is there a toll-free support line for Captive Purity?

Thanks!

hillegom
02-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Not familiar with that brand. Does that unit come with an automatic shutoff valve?
Something that looks like this?
http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=104
If you have one of these, then either it is faulty, or it is hooked up wrong.
When your tank is full, and the pressure builds up, this unit shuts off the water.
At least it does on mine

newreefer_59
02-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Can you tell me where it is hooked up to? I assume between the water supply line and the RO unit. My plumber did not know what this devise even was....lol.

hillegom
02-13-2009, 10:27 PM
There is a flow diagram on page 9 here.
http://www.watergeneral.com/support/pdf/RD100.pdf
Out of the first 3 filters, it goes to the high pressure, in side, of the ASV then out to the ro membrane high pressure side.
But if you bought a ro filter system, already together, except for the water in and ro water out to your tank, also drain connection, Then normaly the ASV is already connected. Follow all the lines, you should see the ASV under one of the cigar shaped filters on top of the unit.

newreefer_59
02-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks...mine is a 4 stage system. Would you know of the flow chart for it please?

hillegom
02-13-2009, 11:54 PM
No, I don't. But basically it should be the same, except for missing a filter before, or one after, the
RO membrane. They should all have the ASV before the ro membrane and a flow restrictor on the drain. This should limit your drain water to about 1:4 ie one gallon of ro water to about 4 gal of waste to drain. There are better units that do a little better, but count on about 1:4