PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Pistol Shrimp

Nullig
05-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Looking to get a Tiger Pistol Shrimp for my Watchman Goby. Anyone wanting to get rid of one?

Noel

Son Of Skyline
05-31-2003, 07:54 PM
I've seen them sold at King Ed Pets. You might want to call them and see if they have any right now.

Quinn
05-31-2003, 08:02 PM
i asked J&L about commensal shrimp/goby pairs the other day, they said they don't have enough room to bring them in? :neutral: was a little confused by that. i know they aren't that hard to get, straight from the wild, a friend of mine works at a wholesaler in LA and she says they always have pairs down there.

Beverly
05-31-2003, 08:43 PM
i asked J&L about commensal shrimp/goby pairs the other day, they said they don't have enough room to bring them in?

Oh, I know the answer to that, Quinn :cool:

J&L's store is actually pretty small. Chris is in Vancouver on business for two weeks and was at J&L this morning to pick up some dry goods for me. He said their store was about half the size of AI in Edmonton. He also said J&L was going to be moving in about a month or so to bigger digs. So, maybe in the future they'll be able to get the shrimp/goby pair for you.

BTW, do you know big the goby gets?

Nullig
05-31-2003, 09:14 PM
The goby grows to about 3" and the pistol shrimp to about 2".

I'm setting up a 10 gallon nano for them.

Noel

Quinn
05-31-2003, 09:17 PM
what kind of sand are you planning to use? some people say that even sugar sand is fine, as they don't dig as extensively as jawfish.

Nullig
05-31-2003, 09:22 PM
I'm going to be using the Aragamax Sugar, as it has a wider range of particle size. Apparently, from what I've read, the pistol shrimp like to buttress their tunnels with the larger pieces of sand to prevent cave-ins.

Noel

psuedo
06-01-2003, 01:34 AM
I was at king ed's today, and they don't have any in yet

Van down by the river
06-03-2003, 06:37 AM
Ask at King Ed or Coral Ocean. I know one of their main suppliers has them on their lists regularly. If memory serves me, one is listed as snapping shrimp asst. It is usually Alpheus edwardsii (Clear with black bands)or Alpheus sp. The has a similar name on the list that eludes me but it is usually Alpheus randalli (Clear with red banding and sometimes yellow and white markings as well) both grow to between 2.5 and 3cm. I've had the A.randalli for 5 months now it's less than 2cm and hides within the tunnels he has built most of the time. I didn't get a goby with him, but I may add one soon.

Nullig
06-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Where is Coral Ocean? I haven't heard of that store.

Noel

Van down by the river
06-03-2003, 07:13 PM
See this post, I'm not sure if J nL's buys from this supplier.

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3903

He often doesn't have much in stock but he's good at special orders