PDA

View Full Version : Too much current?

Canadian Man
03-22-2002, 01:32 AM
Well i will explaine first. i had a rio 2100 pump on the right side of my 90g tank and 3 other small ph's on the left side. i purchased a rio 1700 pump to replace the many ph's on the left side of the tank. i put both rio's on spraybars going across the tank and had a sand storm so i took them off and just used the adjustable outputs. no sand storm but i have a heck of alot of current in my tank now and i am wondering if it is too much? i know rio's suck so i dont want to hear about that but in case you dont know their gph's the 2100 is 690 gph and the 1700 is 640 gph so a total of 1330 gph not including my output from my 404 and seaclone skimmer. so what do you think.
the tank is a mixture of softies, lps and sps(well only one sps and monti)
thanks for your reply's in advance.
cheers
Jonathan.

Troy F
03-22-2002, 02:31 AM
Hi Jonathan, I don't think you have too much current. I had a lot more than that in my 72gal. Just make sure that you're not directly blasting any corals and keep an eye on them.

Good luck!

[ 21 March 2002, 22:31: Message edited by: Troy F ]

Canadian Man
03-22-2002, 02:36 AM
Thanks troy
Did you have a sand bed in your tank? if so did you every get sand storms? and last question how did you have your ph's set up and what type? thanks a bunch.

Troy F
03-23-2002, 01:23 AM
Jonathan, I had a 1" sandbed of finer grain aragonite. It can be a bit of a trick to find the right positioning of the waterflow.

I had my powerheads set up all over the place. Initially just in the upper half of the tank but later, after some recommendations from friends, moved them lower as well. Obviously you can't point the output right at the sandbed. I had four MJ 1200, and two Hagen 802s in there as well as a LG2MDCQX? on a closed loop.

I recently saw a fellow running one of those Ampmaster 3000 on a small tank (68 or 72gal) with the fine oolitic aragonite. I had to see it to believe it but he had no problems with the sand. The point being; you can get an awful lot of flow in your tank, the corals won't mind at all.

Canadian Man
03-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the explanation. i have had the extra current in my tank now for a little over a week and the corals are doing much better visually than before.
thanks again.